Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dangerous seeds

Well the word is getting out , I guess there was an episode on Pheasants Forever telivision on the subject, thanks to anyone who spoke up, Also I was able to get good feedback from the president of the MN NRCS, and the area Pres. of NRCS in Fergus falls. He is in charge of a project next to me and they may be switching the seed mixes around now, possibly to a weat seed or oats. Glad to see some people starting to take it serious.
    http://www.bluerivergundogs.com/Home_Page.html

When you think you are smarter than your dog, ask your self who cleans up who's poo.

Western dog owners and their vets have dealt with this for years, it's pretty common with cheatgrass and foxtail to have problems with awns getting imbedded in a dog and causing problems.

Canada Rye to the best of my knowledge hasn't caused as many problems over the years, the problem now is that some conservation groups are pushing it as an early cover crop in newly established plantings so it's popping up more often. Not all rye is a problem---there are other varieties of rye that seem less susceptible to the problem so they don't have to abandon use of fast germinating rye in general.

You need to look at essfta.com and click on grass awn project. Weather it is labled as Canada rye, virginia, rye or wild rye. Means nothing. The main reason for the rise in the problem is the use of it for the cover crops yes but it started not all that long ago. And I have seen what it does first hand. What you need to do is try to stop the use of it so every single planting from here on out does not have it. Or get them to take steps to burn it out or some other meathod of eradicating it. It should be on the noxicious weed list, not in our hunting programs. If you do look at the link and educate yourself look at the nation wide distribution map, You will see how serious it is.Maybe you can deal with it in your area but we don't want it here.
    Last edited by FCSpringer; 12-04-2009 at 02:06 AM.

When you think you are smarter than your dog, ask your self who cleans up who's poo.

Quote Originally Posted by tmrichardson View Post
    Western dog owners and their vets have dealt with this for years, it's pretty common with cheatgrass and foxtail to have problems with awns getting imbedded in a dog and causing problems.

Canada Rye to the best of my knowledge hasn't caused as many problems over the years, the problem now is that some conservation groups are pushing it as an early cover crop in newly established plantings so it's popping up more often. Not all rye is a problem---there are other varieties of rye that seem less susceptible to the problem so they don't have to abandon use of fast germinating rye in general.
    Are you a walking encyclopidea? just seems like you are a very smart man, you seem to know about western dog owners, Nebraska, South Dakota
    Most everything about MN and it's law. Just curious on how you can be so smart, I think it is amazing. And you should be very proud. Not many people can be so gifted with that much knoledge.

Default Grass Seeds in Ears

Hello,

My vet discovered a couple grase seeds in my Brittany's ears at her last exam. Does anyone have any tips on how to avoid this? The vet suggested cotton balls but she immediately shakes them out.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Birdiesmom View Post
    Hello,

My vet discovered a couple grase seeds in my Brittany's ears at her last exam. Does anyone have any tips on how to avoid this? The vet suggested cotton balls but she immediately shakes them out.

Thanks!
    Just avoid the fields with the dangerous ones. The rest just use ear wash.

I have had britt's for over 45 years. They always get somekind of seed in there ears and eyes. Clean them out after each trip as best as possible. You don't have the tools the vet has for deep down inside the ear. You can't even see them. If my dog is shaking its' head a lot I take him to the vet and get the seeds cleaned out. Plus after the season I have it done again. There always is some seeds in there.....Bob
    Watching a Brittany Work Is like Watching Beauty Unfold.
    I Always Trust My Brittany Tony, He Knows More Than I Do.
    I may be old, but I have not grown up yet

bobeyerite is correct. You can't even see them even with an otoscope (unless you're trained how to use it). What I do is trim all the hair inside the ear flap. This lessens the chance of them getting them. If the do start shaking I put otomax, or even baby oil in the ear to soften an neutralize the foxtail. An ear flush might help but a trip to the vet is probably what's needed. And yes, prevention by avoiding them works best, although not always easy.

Quote Originally Posted by bobeyerite View Post
    I have had britt's for over 45 years. They always get somekind of seed in there ears and eyes. Clean them out after each trip as best as possible. You don't have the tools the vet has for deep down inside the ear. You can't even see them. If my dog is shaking its' head a lot I take him to the vet and get the seeds cleaned out. Plus after the season I have it done again. There always is some seeds in there.....Bob
    Yup BOB is correct on this one. calisdad is correct also. You have to take time after the hunt to look your dogs over. If you dont, Issues will come up.

Default Thanks

Thanks for all the tips. I'll keep an eye on her ears and hit her with the ear wash after hunting. We leave tomorrow for a week of hunting in Norther Montana. Hopefully we will come home with lots of birds and no seeds!