Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dangerous seeds

Default Dangerous seeds

Hey Guy's and well galls too maybe, Have you been aware of the seeds that kill, Fox tail,Canada wild rye, virgina rye and others? We in the spaniel field trials have been encountering this problem allot. Some planters use some of these seeds in the mixes for CRP, CREP, ect. for cover crops and it will kill your dog sure as I am sitting in front of this Computer. They burro in or get in an eye, nose, mouth or digested. Ounce in the Awns or barbs on the seed only allow it to travel forward like a porkupine qwill. Leaving a trail of infection. The seed will travel through your dog, and will puncture lungs or other vital organs, it depends on the direction it is faceing. It is becoming widespread and most vets are not aware with the problem, A antibiotic called antirobic can sometimes be helpfull, but that has been the only one that we know of. I know of several cases and one even swollowed the seed, It traveled. I know of the seeds going up Male dogs urinary tracts as well, "Oooo" made you squint ha. You can if you are planning a planting have them leave it out of your seed Mix. The ESSFTA is doing allot of recearch on this to present proof to the GOV. I am aware of what to look for now and just go to the next spot when I see it hunting. There are some pics and info On the meanseeds.com site
    Last edited by FCSpringer; 06-15-2011 at 04:29 PM.

Default Thanks for the info

Had a Shorthair that I lost in Sept. with the same symptoms and my Vet had no clue! Just wondering if it could have been this? Too late now but will call my vet today and send info! Thanks again so much, maybe We will have closure with my loss!
    Every day is a good day, some are better than others!
    Everyday's a Holiday, Every meals a banquet!

Just had two friends that had to have surgery on there dogs and seeds were removed from both dogs, samples are being sent to the U for verification. One surgery to remove one did not heal so they put a die in the wound and xrayed it and found the path of travel and went in a second time and got another one. The seeds look like Canada rye to me. Bad stuff I'm tellen ya.
    http://www.bluerivergundogs.com/Home_Page.html

When you think you are smarter than your dog, ask your self who cleans up who's poo.

Default Pheasants Forever supporters

Well I see a ton of Pheasant's forever supporters here, So I will bring up the dangerous seed topic again. I support this group as well as any local USDA group building habitat, but I have seen what Canada rye does to the dogs we enjoy to hunt with. These seeds along with Virgina Rye kill your dog slow and painfully. As PF suporters I challenge you to go to your next meeting and bring this topic up and ask for a simple change in the mix to plant for cover excluding these seeds. It is a fact we know because of the dead dogs allready. People aware ask for it to be removed from the mix and it grows just as good. I am fully aware of the efforts put forth and the noble cause it is for but if we can't hunt it with our dogs is it worth hunting? The fact is it is a simple fix and we can bring it up at the chapter level to fix the problem. We have tried to call the upper levels and basicly got the your nuts spiel and we want proof. So we are doing that now but it is sad that it will take so much work from a small # of people to get through to them. I hope you all heed this warning and check into this problem because it will only get worse till we do somthing about it. At least all around MN it is what is used as cover crop and it needs to stop. The seeds are inhaled, ingested, inbeded in hair then skin and travel through the dog causing infection and a slow painfull death, the seeds inhaled or ingested simply travel through lungs and other vitals and cause slow painfull death. Afriend recently had 3 removed from a dog, the first surgery took one out just under the skin by the shoulder after seeing a lump cist. Then it healed from antibiotics when those wore off it festered again she then injected dye into the wound and used an ultrasound and was able to see the seed traveled from the shoulder over the spine, around the oppisite shoulder, back accross the spine, and down to the back of the rib cage. This was a mild case. Many others are sent to the U for a 5-13 thousand $ bill and are just not the same again. Many are missdiagnosed as a tumor and when they remove the infected area they miss the seed because it traveled. Useualy they put it on antibiotics and it gets better till they wear off and it will come back rather quickly. The sad stories just keep piling up and its time to change the planting practices now. I tell you to benifit you not me, I know what to look for and can avoid it. The part that bothers me is some public land is infected. Once this is realized as a mistake it will be more expensive to fix later then just simply not planting it to begin with. Again we are not nuts and only tell you this so you PF enthusiasts can do somthing about it , You are the voice. And if you love your dogs I sugest you take it to heart.
    Last edited by FCSpringer; 11-09-2009 at 08:58 PM. Reason: Tried to change the spelling of the topic but it did not work

When you think you are smarter than your dog, ask your self who cleans up who's poo.

Default where

can I get more info on this?
    BANG !!!! DEAD BIRD

Yes gladly, essfta.com
    Click on grass awn project at the top of page in orange letters, and there is a ton of new info there. Thanks for asking, Ken.

I've been a member of PF in SD for more than 10 years and this is the first time I've heard of this problem. I have a lot of Canada Wild Rye in my CRP but haven't experienced any problems with any of the dogs that have hunted with us or with my dog.

Pheasants Forever doesn't force anyone to use Canada Wild Rye in any of the CRP seedings and it is the NRCS that has the final approval of seeding plans, not Pheasants Forever. Ultimately its the landowner who decides which seeding plan, among several that are approved to be used, that he will plant. I'm sure that very few landowners, and PF club members, are even aware a potential problem.

Yes Landman that is exactly right that is why essfta has been trying to edu as many people as we can, We understand it has not been done as an intention, but now we know what it can do so we are simply trying to get this info out and like you said most land owners don't know or don't even hunt in alot of cases so they don't care. If you look at the USDA distribution map you will see how wide spread it is and that is why we would like to get through to these people most of all. And I am glad you most of all of the folks on here are willing to look at this. I only hope you never have any trouble with your dogs. The Friend I talked about does not listen very well. He has been through it with 3 dogs now and a friend he hunts with lost one to the seed too. He has 80 acres by Montivideo that has Canada rye planted and just keeps putting dogs through it. I hunted it last year with him and I saw the stuff and carried my pup 300 yards back to the truck. He has a ton of birds but I will not hunt my dog there again.
    Last edited by FCSpringer; 11-09-2009 at 07:40 PM.

Basicly what I mean is We know PF members don't plant the fields or maybe make the decisions but maybe if enough of us bring it up maybe they will listen to the right people in these groups. No one is pointing fingures just trying to come up with a solution. And if you have heard the old saying " If you play with a snake long enough you will get bit" thats what many people think of Canada Rye.