Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What went wrong?

After some serious thought I come to the conclusion that we Iowa hunters are just to good We killed pretty much everything in the state

Quote Originally Posted by KBell View Post
    I live for bird hunting. Our perfect storm of weather-winter and spring, habitat losses, farming practice changes including the loss of hay and alfalfa ground, and finally spraying practices.

Here's my dilemma. How can we change this. I cannot legally apply the new herbicides my crops require. The elevator takes you on a requested basis. First come-first serve. There is no waiting for chicks to develop.
    KBell, more details here would help. Loss of alfalfa and hay ground is going to be a major factor. what % do you think it is in last 10 years?

Are you saying the sprayer machine is killing birds? I would think the big sprayers are less of a disturbance for animals with bigger booms they creat less tracks in the field.

What about "the new chemicals your crops require"? That's what I would be concerned about.

If your crops are beans and corn there probably aren't too many broods in those in June anyway?

I think the real question might be "What went right?". Short and flip , not much. By focusing on what is still right or at least OK, currently, analyzing how and why what works is still there and working, gives us a chance to use incentives and education to encourage techniques which will result in the same. Might sound simple, but it's going to take dollars to fix this. Along with public opinion. Ifyou pay farmers to grow iron weeds, what they make on corn, we would have a lot of iron weeds to hunt in!

Quote Originally Posted by oldandnew View Post
    I think the real question might be "What went right?". Short and flip , not much. By focusing on what is still right or at least OK, currently, analyzing how and why what works is still there and working, gives us a chance to use incentives and education to encourage techniques which will result in the same. Might sound simple, but it's going to take dollars to fix this. Along with public opinion. Ifyou pay farmers to grow iron weeds, what they make on corn, we would have a lot of iron weeds to hunt in!
    Bingo! You nailed it.

Quote Originally Posted by captaincoot View Post
    Should tax more for tiling it all and put it into habitat fund. 10 more years river I pasture cows on will be worthless. It flows high and is cutting wide from the extra flow.
    Nice to hear ducks are around. Just one of those years dry and decided to keep moving south. Kossuth county wheres I'm from iowa labs.
    hey coot i think the tax should be $5 per foot. how many feet did you put in this fall 28,000

When we still had pheasants around where I live and the chemical sprays were taking off it affected the birds more than they realized.I walked the fence rows the year after everybody started using sprays real heavy and out of 15 nests that had an8 egg average at least 3 eggs were either soft or so hard the chick could not break the shell.I know this because I kept track of the days and went back for hatching and saved at least 25 chicks because they could not break the shell.Some of them I was too late for and they were already dead when I got there.They were fully formed but could not break the shell because it was so hard,even I had trouble breaking them that's how hard they were.I know some will be mad at me but I'm just telling what I found over a 5 yr. period.

That's some interesting stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcloud27 View Post
    hey coot i think the tax should be $5 per foot. how many feet did you put in this fall 28,000
    Ruh-roh Shaggy
    In the trunk boys.

Bad Winter. On my daughters birthday 12-12-10 ( 6 5th grade girls trapped in my house all weekend) we had a pheasant killing blizzard and it did not let up for three months. A majority of the hens were gone before I was done hunting at the end of last season. Pheasant hunting will be better next year.

Quote Originally Posted by reddog View Post
    Environmental genocide. Whos responsible? Who knows..
    ADM, Monsanto, and Cargill. They did it with malice and aforethought. The bitter irony is none of us has been to ANWAR to see the caribou, but instead the environmental lobby seems to be content to allow the lower 48 to be turned into one large Round Up Ready cornfield. Hey, did you see where the polar bears are so overcrowded they have started eating each other?