Page 3 of 154 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: NEWS FLASH: Drought ends at Ponderosa

I hear with the new times these days the rain Gods are watching for requests on youtube. So I think you may want to try again and video tape the request this time. Then post it on youtube.
    http://www.bluerivergundogs.com/Home_Page.html

When you think you are smarter than your dog, ask your self who cleans up who's poo.

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo Baggins View Post
    How is the water table looking in SW Kansas? I suppose it is dropping.
    I am sure it is. I am trying to scan an old publication from GWD #3 that shows the Average Water Level Changes in SW Kansas. If I get it done I will post it. It is old, but still pretty impressive.
    Maynard Reece Byrd
    Dodge City

I heard from a farmer friend in the area that the number dropped like a rock but I just don't remember how many feet he said the water table actually dropped. I just wonder if it ever gets to the point where farmers cannot even irrigate anymore.
    Bilbo Baggins

For some reason I am not getting a scan to work tonight.

No date on this publication by GMD #3(Groundwater Management District #3), but it talks about the 1997 budget for the group, so suspect it was about that time. There is a map that shows the drop for each county. Here is what it says:

Water levels in the High Plains (Ogallala) Aquifer have changed significantly since the 1940's(predevelopment).....Water level declines in Southwest Kansas have been the greatest in the entire 8-state High Plains region since 1980.

Here are the numbers from the map for each county listed:
    Hamilton -67'
    Kearney -41'
    Finney -51'
    Stanton -109'
    Grant -129'
    Haskell -86'
    Gray -38'
    Ford -12'
    Morton -36'
    Stevens -39'
    Seward -28'
    Meade -36'

Again, remember the publication I am looking at is probably looking at data from the late 1990's.

http://www.gmd3.org/

In another newsletter from GMD #3, that I cannot put my hands on at the moment, it talks about the natural recharge to the aquifer being less than one inch per year.
    Last edited by M. R. Byrd; 06-27-2011 at 10:26 PM.
    Maynard Reece Byrd
    Dodge City

Maybe we should all dig a trench from the Missouri River to Western Kansas... Plenty for everyone at this point, and in some cases, too damn much.

Here is what it can look like. This is one of my food plots in 2008.

This year-

Maynard Reece Byrd
    Dodge City

It was 111 degrees in Amarillo, Texas last weekend. That was the hottest temperature ever, ever recorded in or around that city.

There are distant signs that drought relief may be on the way. We have three good signs.
    1. The southwest monsoon (in Arizona & New Mexico) that typically begins in early July, has already started. This is tropical moisture from the south pacific.
    See nation radar below:

http://i.imwx.com/web/radar/us_radar_plus_usen.jpg

Once this flow gets started (on a daily basis) all we need is the "dry line" from S.E. Colorado or N.E. New Mexico to get good showers started over the Texas & Oklahoma panhandle and S.W. Kansas.

2. An unusually strong summer time cold wet front now moving through central California, that front can draw moisture up into from the pacific and the Gulf of Mexico as it move eastward and drop that moisture over the S.W. including Texas, N.W. Oklahoma and S.W. Kansas.

3. The tropical disturbance now in the S.W. Gulf of Mexico can also bring moisture northward into S.W. by next week.

Tropical moisture that drops an inch or two inches of rain is full of aerial nitrogen and other ions and minerals that will cause the vegetation to quickly turn green, and the insects and wildlife will respond.

There are lots of adult birds. There is lots of time for them to renest if the weather changes. I have seen birds lots of times early season that were hatched in late August. I was out working in Finney county with the dozer on my farm and saw 3 clutches. They had about 6 to 8 birds each and were less than 2 weeks old. The hens are bringing them to the windmill for water. I saw a couple coyotes hanging out there also so I am taking .17 back with me when I go. I also have seen some newly hatched quail here in east central Kansas. We are supposed to get hot also but we aren't dry yet.

I jokingly told our delivery driver that I would call him if the roads were too muddy for a job site delivery in Hodgeman County of a big order in the morning and there were plenty of hee haws from the people that overheard the conversation-----but who knows.
    Maynard Reece Byrd
    Dodge City

Default 100 degrees

I thought the South had the hot weather.......

but ya'll are having some heat.
    We've broken a couple of records in the past couple of weeks in South Georgia, but nothing like what you are having.

101 is high for us.