Page 2 of 154 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: NEWS FLASH: Drought ends at Ponderosa

Boys,
    It sure sounds like it willbe thin pickens in western kansas this fall.
    No way those baby chicks can survive in that heat,hell its hard for an old fart like me.It was 84 degrees,with an 87 degree heat index at 5:00am,today.,in Pitt.

I think June usually is our highest rainfall month and this month is about gone and I think I have had 0.15" at the Ponderosa.
    Maynard Reece Byrd
    Dodge City

Quote Originally Posted by M. R. Byrd View Post
    Bad news to report on the rain dance. I am absolutely desperate and had an old timer tell me to dance naked around a prickly pear, five times to the right, five times to the left. I know that no one can see me, so what the heck. I was doing a respectable job, when I went to turn to the left, wrenched my back, lost my balance, fell backwards onto the prickly pear, filled my left butt cheek with twenty-three spines, trip to the ER and 746 dollars later I was leaving. All the laughs from the ER staff, plus everyone else on staff that had to come to see, priceless for them. Daily trips to the chiroprator for the wrenched lower back and he even thinks it to be amusing.

I did have a pretty good proposal from a good looking nurse to take over my dancing, but how would that look in a small community if the word got out that Maynard had naked dancing girls up in the canyons.

Any other bright ideas?
    Oh my, was that the young lady with one tooth?
    Bilbo Baggins

Quote Originally Posted by gsh lover View Post
    Boys,
    No way those baby chicks can survive in that heat,hell its hard for an old fart like me.It was 84 degrees,with an 87 degree heat index at 5:00am,today.,in Pitt.
    Slim pickens for sure, I might drive a little further to Nebraska this year, not that there are so many birds up there but it is a thought. I would almost hate to be the one who shot one of those poor surviving roosters from last year, at least from the way it looks right now. I suppose it is going to take a couple years of normal weather for the birds to recover again. Think about the poor farmers who depend on their crops to earn a living. The whole situation is very sad.
    Bilbo Baggins

Quote Originally Posted by gsh lover View Post
    Boys,
    My father in law who farms in Southwest Kansas just left the house. He said his dryland wheat got 8 bushels an acre, it's the worst he's ever had and he's been farming out there 40 years. He said he's seen a few adult birds around, but has not seen any chicks yet. He usually is pretty spot on with his reports every year and he said this year is going to be bad out there. No young birds and there's absolutely no cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo Baggins View Post
    Oh my, was that the young lady with one tooth?
    I am sorry, did you have your heart set on her?
    Maynard Reece Byrd
    Dodge City

Quote Originally Posted by KansasGsp View Post
    My father in law who farms in Southwest Kansas just left the house. He said his dryland wheat got 8 bushels an acre, it's the worst he's ever had and he's been farming out there 40 years. He said he's seen a few adult birds around, but has not seen any chicks yet. He usually is pretty spot on with his reports every year and he said this year is going to be bad out there. No young birds and there's absolutely no cover.
    I feel for your father-in-law. There are a lot in the same boat. Yes, there is crop insurance that will soften the sting a bit, but as far as pheasants go in SW Kansas, poor wheat crop = poor pheasant crop.

In my travels I see a lot of dry land milo that will surely not make a crop. Some of it might be two inches tall, some maybe as high as twelve, but I have not seen a field of dry land milo that I would rate as high as fair.
    Maynard Reece Byrd
    Dodge City

Crop insurance is a poor substitute for a crop! Usually get enough to replant next year, but sure doesn't do much to feed the bulldog. Like all insurance companies, not in business to pay claims, and like to haggle down the settlement. Little known fact, the agent who writes the policy and settles the claim, keeps the part of the savings from low settlements he saves the insurance company he writes for. Be alert.

i am surprised anyone wasted time and money trying to grow any dryland milo. what scares me most is this could be the beginning of a 3 year drought! weather runs in cycles, anything irrigated will have a few birds around it, but the miles and miles of dryland ground will be barren.

How is the water table looking in SW Kansas? I suppose it is dropping.
    Bilbo Baggins