Page 154 of 154 FirstFirst ... 54104144152153154
Results 1,531 to 1,539 of 1539

Thread: NEWS FLASH: Drought ends at Ponderosa

Quote Originally Posted by fsentkilr View Post
    I agree with you eradication wasn't the right word, suppression is what I should have used. Kstate did a four year study summer burning every year. It was way more successful than spraying. I spent countless days every year spraying our filter and quail strips. http://www.ksre.k-state.edu/news/sto...d-burning.html
    I wonder how far west that will be possible. You have to grow and leave residual cover in order to burn in consecutive years and that is not possible everywhere. Also, annual burns leave everything open during periods when many species need the cover. You also have to have a place to graze while that summer burn is getting enough top growth to support cattle. Much to balance with weather, and all other conditions. Add to that the fact that you're removing the overhead cover and exposing the soil to much more solar and wind desiccation, and keeping the grazing rate in balance will be a challenge. It is a great tool, but each manager will have to learn how they can use it on their land.
    Trust the dog!

Troy Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Prairie Drifter View Post
    I wonder how far west that will be possible. You have to grow and leave residual cover in order to burn in consecutive years and that is not possible everywhere. Also, annual burns leave everything open during periods when many species need the cover. You also have to have a place to graze while that summer burn is getting enough top growth to support cattle. Much to balance with weather, and all other conditions. Add to that the fact that you're removing the overhead cover and exposing the soil to much more solar and wind desiccation, and keeping the grazing rate in balance will be a challenge. It is a great tool, but each manager will have to learn how they can use it on their land.
    back to weather.......over the past few weeks the radar has looked pretty active over parts of Kansas.......i am sure not everyone is getting these gully washers, but how do things look out there in your neck of the woods?

After that history making drought last fall and winter, the moisture has been better. Good growth on the vegetation. I personally have not been able to spend much time on the ground at the Ponderosa to know about the hatches, but have seen some pheasant, quail and turkey hatches. I have not seen any lesser prairie chicken hatches, but have spent almost no time in the area where they would be. Lots of dove at the moment. Seeing some decent whitetail deer and some little mulie bucks. God has blessed.
    Maynard Reece Byrd
    Dodge City

Quote Originally Posted by M. R. Byrd View Post
    After that history making drought last fall and winter, the moisture has been better. Good growth on the vegetation. I personally have not been able to spend much time on the ground at the Ponderosa to know about the hatches, but have seen some pheasant, quail and turkey hatches. I have not seen any lesser prairie chicken hatches, but have spent almost no time in the area where they would be. Lots of dove at the moment. Seeing some decent whitetail deer and some little mulie bucks. God has blessed.
    great news, thanks for the update, hope all is well down on the ranch.

Thanks for the update Maynard, you must have at least been out doing the "rain dance".
    Bilbo Baggins

I try the best I can to regulate the rainfall, but I'm only human.
    Maynard Reece Byrd
    Dodge City

Hope everyone in North Central is safe and damage minimal with all the rain.

CRP grasses may be the tallest I have ever seen. Going to be tough seeing your dog.

I think the pheasant and quail numbers may be down a bit, but who knows with all the cover.

Wishing you all good hunts, fellowship and safety.
    Maynard Reece Byrd
    Dodge City

Quote Originally Posted by M. R. Byrd View Post
    CRP grasses may be the tallest I have ever seen. Going to be tough seeing your dog.

I think the pheasant and quail numbers may be down a bit, but who knows with all the cover.

Wishing you all good hunts, fellowship and safety.
    Cover was good here but now it is all laid down from the rain.