Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: December pheasant hunting should not be allowed.

Default December pheasant hunting should not be allowed.

Yeh, this will raise some hackles. But seriously, anyone who knows these birds understand you cant keep kicking them out of limited winter cover and expect them to survive our winters or the predation that comes when they are busted out of cover. The DNR, when they allowed this put the last nail in the coffin of our pheasants. Before anyone gets riled up, let's think about this. I've lived and hunted these birds for decades around the thumb, winter cover is very, very sparse. These areas need to be protected....not hunted in time and time again in December. We have damn near lost every bird here this winter. Those birds that you guys busted out of their winter cover in December were lucky, they just died earlier in the winter. Just for a moment, think about what you are really doing next time you hunt wild birds in December.

In my opinion. Hunting in Dec has nothing to do with winter survival. Your problem is clear in MI. No pheasant habitat, or very little. We out here in the main pheasant belt have been hunting them in DEC for eons and to no affect. The difference is we have more nesting cover. Sure the woods and such can help for winter but the grass lands are a must for you to sustain your population. If you look at the crp or related acres in each state. Look at the harvest #,s in comparison.. Not barking back at you but trying to say I believe your wrong. You need to get the state to do more habitat. What is good for turkeys is not the same for pheasants for example. MI is a woodland state if I am correct, and also low on the pole for CRP acres right?
    Last edited by FCSpringer; 04-23-2011 at 07:17 AM.
    http://www.bluerivergundogs.com/Home_Page.html

When you think you are smarter than your dog, ask your self who cleans up who's poo.

Not hunting in december If you want more pheasants than you need more cover. Hunting them does not hurt the population you can shoot 90% of the roosters and not hurt the population. Good cover is the key to a good phez population.

Default Winter cover....Thats the point!

We dont have the winter cover thats needed for winter survival. I agree under a utopian climate that 90 percent of the roosters can be harvested but....lets get real. Those that hunt here in Dec. know exactly what I'm talking about. You bust the birds out of there very limited winter habitat you have just reduced the chances of winter survival for both hens and roosters to ZERO. Think about that next time you hunt birds Michigan in December.

OK you just stated your problem, they cant survive, not any cover. Get involved, get proactive, and do something about it. Start sportsman's clubs, habbitat projects, pheasants forever, talk to legislators. Vote pro sportsmen. And so on. Complaining about seasons will do absolutely nothing for you. Good luck
    http://www.bluerivergundogs.com/Home_Page.html

When you think you are smarter than your dog, ask your self who cleans up who's poo.

Default I have done more than most

I have been involved with PF for 15 years. I have planted ON MY PROPERTY acres of switch grass, have two ponds with good cattail growth and food plots. Pheasant hunting is my passion but refuse to hunt them in December. Those that hunt pheasants in December in Michigan cannot see beyond the end of their own nose and are greatly impacting winter survival.

Default Dec Hunt's

Well no hunting in Dec lets see we have to stop black powder for deer for it may bust a pheasant or two out of cover, then lets stop Dec Goose an most of all Dec,Jan,Feb an 1/2 of March Rabbit hunting. All of these are on Public land open to all. An may cause cover busting of Pheasants,Be real, think about what your implying!

Here in SD birds die from long winters with either no cover or snow too deep to get to the food. I shoot a lot of birds in Dec before severe winter sets in, and there are still plenty of birds left going into Jan.

If you have a problem in your area, go to the DNR and complain to them.

I kinda see his point.While it is true that hunting pheasants in Dec. in "good habitat" will not have an effect on their overall survival,hunting them in marginal habitat might push them over the edge!I think everyone will agree that habitat is the key,so while that habitat is being created maybe a shortened season isn't such a bad idea!

Default December Bird Hunting

I can see both sides of the issue. It's great to be able to work your dog for and extra month. Not that many days with good weather. I feel guilty everytime we put a bird in the air, wondering if it will make it back to safe cover. I only run my coverts once and then move on. Yes we need more cover but with farmland selling for $6,000.00 and acre plus in my area there will be less cover not more. We may be a dying breed here in MI. If the DNR dropped the Dec. hunt it would not break my heart.