Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dog food survey

Default My Dog's Food Rated One Star

I have been feeding my dogs Purina One dry for 12 years. It's 26% crude protein and 16% crude fat, good percentages. It gets the lowest rating on the website. I remember when I took my Brittany, Sport, to the vet the first time. He was one. The vet walks in the examination room, gives him the once over, and says, "Wow. I don't know what you're feeding him, but he is ALL MUSCLE." And he was. When I said Purina One dry, the vet said nothing. My second vet asked the other day what I feed Gus, and said nothing when I told him. Both vets sold Science Diet. My dogs stools are perfect, they have tremendous field endurance and overall robust health. Best of all, you can buy Purina One dry at any Walmart or local grocery store so you never have to stress your dog by feeding a different brand when you're caught short on the road or a hunting trip. I do not intend to change.

the poorest food causes a lot of excess stools.....consistency isn't as important as the amount that gets bypassed, which is an indication of poor quality.

My dogs loved the ProPlan shredded blend, but it gave them the farts like you wouldn't believe! We had to switch before they blew the roof off our house or melted the paint off the walls. They seem to do fine on the PP without the shreds in it though, but it is getting hard to find locally. I have to buy it whenever I see it. They always have plenty of bags of the fart-inducing shreds on hand though...

Default Best dog food?

Hey all, I'm a newbie on this forum from SD. I have two new labs and was just wondering what everybody runs thier dogs on. I have been giving mine nutrisource and have no complaints but thought it'd be fun to see everyones input. I'm sure there will be as many answers as dog owners so let's hear it!

hey there I merged your post here to give you some info. This one always gets people arguing believe it or not. So Here you go. If you search archives there is a couple more too on the subject. Good luck. I am switching from Native to Ukanuba performance due to the inconsistency of it. My self and other breeders I train with are having the same trouble. It changes bag to bag. They just lost 28 dogs and a fair amount of new owner referrals from all of us each year.
    Last edited by FCSpringer; 08-21-2011 at 10:58 PM.
    http://www.bluerivergundogs.com/Home_Page.html

When you think you are smarter than your dog, ask your self who cleans up who's poo.

Quote Originally Posted by oldandnew View Post
    You'll have just as good a luck with Diamond or ProPac, with stool quality, and save about 20.00 a bag. I think there is way to much emphasis on stool firmness. Do you have a firm stool all the time? If you want concrete stools feed Science Diet Maintenence, don't read the bag though!!!
    well said- I switched to Diamond High Energy 5 some years ago- I buy 500lbs at a time for $203.00- I feed all 4 of mine 2 cups in the evening- three of them have wheels- as long as there is water

I've been using Fromm Family dry grain-free surf and turf. Recommended by the breader and it's made just north of me outside of Milwaukee And it's five stars on the website from page 1.

Before using this brand with the older pup, even before I checked the contents, I checked the country of manufacture; no China made foods will be found under my roof.

I ran my dogs on Taste of the Wild for a year or so but my younger dog seemed to be struggling. About a month ago I switched to eukanuba Premium Performace and all of the dogs seem to be much better on it.
    JeffStally

Thanks Jeff They are sending all of us food to try. I will give them a go for a year. What sucks is we all are having trouble and changing diet right before trial season.
    Last edited by FCSpringer; 08-21-2011 at 11:31 PM.
    http://www.bluerivergundogs.com/Home_Page.html

When you think you are smarter than your dog, ask your self who cleans up who's poo.

Purina Pro Plan for my pack of dogs for over 5 years. I add some fresh bone meal and meat shavings from the bandsaw at the butcher's shop when huntin real hard.
    There is a way that nature speaks, that land speaks. Most of the time we are simply not patient enough, quiet enough, to pay attention to the story. ~ Linda Hogan