Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Dog food survey

What does Victor run a bag?
    http://www.bluerivergundogs.com/Home_Page.html

When you think you are smarter than your dog, ask your self who cleans up who's poo.

When you think you are smarter than your dog, ask your self who cleans up who's poo.

The bigger the dog food company the bigger chance for a mistake. I doubt any of these companies planned to produce a dangerous or defficient product, but accidents happen, they happen more often when trying to produce a product at a price point that doesn't make the product unacceptable to the public. The consumer doesn't want a justification for an extremely high price, and in reality you never get to make that pitch one on one, they don't want their dog poisoned either. Just like the human food producers, they seek raw materials which are acceptable in quality and priced competetively to maximize profit while keeping costs low. You want a real shock look at a human recall list. You can't even be assured your food is safe, let alone the dog, even if you share, and he eats what you eat. If you didn't grow it, or harvest it yourself from a source you personally know to be safe. There are no gaurantees.

Quote Originally Posted by FCSpringer View Post

Depending on what type of Victor Dog Food, $22 - $30 a bag.
    I have several friends that are feeding it. It seems to be a good food.
    I have called the customer service and spoke with the nutritionists. I was impressed! I am seriously thinking of trying this food.

When/ if, you do your research on Victor, I think that you might be impressed. I have no affiliation to this company, as I have been feeding PPP for over 5 years with great success.
    There is a way that nature speaks, that land speaks. Most of the time we are simply not patient enough, quiet enough, to pay attention to the story. ~ Linda Hogan

I would be interested, but wonder about whole sale distribution. I will have to call tomorrow. Looks interesting a couple blends.

Quote Originally Posted by FCSpringer View Post

https://healthypets.mercola.com/site..._rid=678595208

some new info on canine heart disease.....

Interesting read.

The Mercola article is a good read.

I've posted before that I feed Victor and did so before I read the Mercola article. The info in that article is the reason though. Victor puts out more info on their sources of protein and the percentage amounts from meat/plants & veggies/grains. Depending on the formula, it can be from about 70% to 88% meat sourced.

I used to feed a Victor Grain Free exclusively. After all the DCM/Grain Free huhu I started hedging my bets. I now rotate through about 3 Victor formulas. I still use the Grain Free Chicken but I also use the Professional and the Chicken & Rice. Just trying to cover all the bases. The dogs do well on any of these.

I wish the other dog food makers would give more information like Victor. Heck, I'd like Victor to even give a bit more info like what the vet talked about in the Mercola article.

I've been feeding Victor high energy/puppy to my dog for a couple years. Been through several different brands and formulations. He likes the Victor. He's in great shape for a 10yr old dog.

His craps are dark because of the blood meal in the food but that just makes them easier to find int he lawn when I need to clean up before cutting the grass. I think I pay $55/40lbs.

487 miles from home in northeast Oklahoma

Are you guys talking about this Dr. Mercola?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Mercola

OK, OK; so it's wikipedia, who doesn't exactly have the higest reputation for accuracy. Still, I'm not buying anything this guy is saying. He's essentially been promoting his own dietary supplements and medical "devices". He's been spanked by the FDA among others for making unsubstantiated claims. Here's a couple items I think are noteworthy:

Mercola's medical claims have been criticized by business, regulatory, medical, and scientific communities. A 2006 BusinessWeek editorial stated his marketing practices relied on "slick promotion, clever use of information, and scare tactics."[3] In 2005, 2006, and 2011, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration warned Mercola and his company that they were making illegal claims of their products' ability to detect, prevent, and treat disease.[6] The medical watchdog site Quackwatch has criticized Mercola for making "unsubstantiated claims [that] clash with those of leading medical and public health organizations and many unsubstantiated recommendations for dietary supplements."[6]

He basically said the Avian flu epidemic was bogus. Tell that to the folks who contracted that particular flu virus.

Another: Phyllis Entis, a microbiologist and food safety expert, highlighted Mercola.com as an example of websites "likely to mislead consumers by offering one-sided, incomplete, inaccurate, or misleading information."[13]

Look, we all want to feed our dogs the best food we can. It's been stated before that not all dogs do well on any specific food. As well, we want to be informed of potential health issues, be it from food or other causes. Perhaps Mercola is but one of a number of places we can go to get information.

I guess what I'm saying is we're all trying to make informed choices. I'm not so sure Mercola is someone I trust enough to provide good information.