Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Dog food survey

Has Purina ever documented how much of their protein in PPP is meat sourced?

As long as the dogs do well and seem to like it, does it matter ?

Since almost all the DCM research mentions the need for more meat protein and less plant/vegetable protein I guess it matters to me. YMMV .

Quote Originally Posted by Chestle View Post
    Since almost all the DCM research mentions the need for more meat protein and less plant/vegetable protein I guess it matters to me. YMMV .
    From the Purina website.

Ingredients
    Chicken, Corn Gluten Meal, Brewer's Rice, Animal Fat Preserved with Mixed-Tocopherols (Form of Vitamin E), Poultry By-Product Meal (Natural Source of Glucosamine), Whole Grain Corn, Corn Germ Meal, Fish Meal (Natural Source of Glucosamine), Animal Digest, Fish Oil, Dried Egg Product, Salt, Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Chloride, Calcium Phosphate, Vitamin E Supplement, Choline Chloride, L-Lysine Monohydrochloride, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (Source of Vitamin C), Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Niacin, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Copper Sulfate, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Garlic Oil, Folic Acid, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Calcium Iodate, Biotin, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source of Vitamin K Activity), Sodium Selenite. W-4461.
    Guaranteed Analysis
    Crude Protein (Min)...30.0%
    Crude Fat (Min)...20.0%
    Crude Fiber (Max)...3.0%
    Moisture (Max)...12.0%
    Linoleic Acid (Min)...1.8%
    Calcium (Ca)(Min)...0.9%
    Phosphorus (P)(Min)...0.7%
    Selenium (Se)(Min)...0.30mg/kg
    Vitamin A (Min)...15,000 IU/kg
    Vitamin E (Min)...500 IU/kg
    Ascorbic Acid* (Min)...100mg/kg
    Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA)*(Min)...0.12%
    Eicosapentaenoic Acid (EPA)*(Min)...0.12%
    Glucosamine* (Min)...500 ppm
    *Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles.
    Feeding Instructions

That's the guaranteed analysis but it doesn't indicate how much of the 30% protein is from meat.
    Janee's August Breeze - Bree
    7/6/2016
    http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigr...&generations=5

Godfather's Dakota Elle - Elle
    1X NSTRA Champion
    11/16/2008 - 11/22/2016
    http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigr...&generations=5

Quote Originally Posted by Dakotazeb View Post
    That's the guaranteed analysis but it doesn't indicate how much of the 30% protein is from meat.
    Correct, but Chicken is the first ingredient. That's the extent of my contribution to this dog food thread.

Has anyone of you ever tried an independent company, i.e. "Dog Food Adviser" to get answers to your questions, complete breakdown analysis, ratings of all brands, reports of recalls on all dog & cat food brands, etc. If so, disregard this message. If not, you could always write them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mill Creek View Post
    Correct, but Chicken is the first ingredient. That's the extent of my contribution to this dog food thread.
    The problem with that is whole meat by itself contains up to 70% water when were talking dog food ingredients. The whole meat vs meat meal comparison can be very confusing.

Here is a basic explanation of the two: https://bullymax.com/truth-meal-meal-dog-food/

Quote Originally Posted by birdshooter View Post
    The problem with that is whole meat by itself contains up to 70% water when we're talking dog food ingredients. The whole meat vs meat meal comparison can be very confusing.

Here is a basic explanation of the two: https://bullymax.com/truth-meal-meal-dog-food/
    this whole dog food issue is a mess....so much misinformation out there, but i think we (me, I) can assume the proliferation of DCM is directly related to the use of lentils, legumes and potatoes as filler and plant based protein sources, which are not well assimilated by canines. knowing what % of total protein is meat based vs. plant based is my real concern. the dog food makers won't post those numbers on the bag or on their websites. this green crap is cheap filler and they count it as part of the total protein content of their food.....but the canine digestive tract is not able to utilize most of this protein, so whatever meat based protein in the food is all the true nutrition your dog gets from his kibble....so the unintended consequence is your dog ends up starved for protein....at the least, which can cause DCM due to low taurine content and a shortage of amino acids and enzymes that healthy dogs need....(only know what i read and have access to, but nutritionists are mostly in agreement).

there is more to the story than this, but not being an expert and being short on FDA findings, this is my own conclusion.... corn has been recently poo-pooed by the human health conscious generation (think all the plant based hamburger substitutes being pushed now at the burger joints) and the dog food makers shifted out of corn and into veggies, assuming consumers would also feel better about what they fed their dogs....but their was no research done prior to using veggies as a replacement...and this green crap is even cheaper than corn.....so now the big box pet food stores are crammed with almost all grain free kibble.....(almost impossible to buy dog food with corn)......BUT remember this, DCM just started to become an issue several years after grain free kibble was introduced....coincidence?

Yes, 70% or more water. 25 years ago there weren't that many players in the game. Purina, was & still is a major player & rightly so. But, there #1 ingredient back then in their HI Pro was corn. Today, when talking apples to apples, vs all brands & contents, the consumer is left scratching his head. "Dog Food Adviser" as I mentioned before, takes an independent look & breaks down some of this for you. And, also lets you know what recalls are out there, if any, from the manufacturers, which you might never had heard of. Is it complete? Maybe not. We all have choices.