Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Control without the collar

Default Control without the collar

I thought it would be nice to discuss how you get the dogs under control with out a collar. In many of my training pics, well most. You will notice no e collar. I have various ways of accomplishing this. A dog gets hot spots and sores from a collar as we all know, from prolonged use. It is a shorter time period then some may think. So it is important to be able to have the team player with or without a collar. Not to mention the field trials I attend, you can not use them. What do you do. I will post back a few ideas later. This will help some getting started with there first dog or problem areas.
    http://www.bluerivergundogs.com/Home_Page.html

When you think you are smarter than your dog, ask your self who cleans up who's poo.

I find the whistle to be a tool I can't be without. Repetition. Repetition. Repetition. I use it on our daily walks and it has become automatic. I swear I can turn him around in mid air. I don't leave home without it.

I always try to train my dogs to answer to 3 commands. Voice, Whistle and hand/arm. Tony at times stops and looks at me. All I have to do is point in the direction I am going or want to go. But like Calisdad said that takes a lot Repetitions. My dogs always wear their collars in the field. But I take them off as some as possible. I should add I use them very rarely.........Bob
    Watching a Brittany Work Is like Watching Beauty Unfold.
    I Always Trust My Brittany Tony, He Knows More Than I Do.
    I may be old, but I have not grown up yet

fcs,

Finally old school, I have to agree with you 100 percent. I do not like e-collars. I think they are really good for ruining dogs. However, I know they have become the standard in dog training world.

I know I am going to get pounded on this and that is okay. Trained my dogs with a mouth whistle, not a whistle that I blew through the mouth. And a pheasant wing on a fly pole as pups. Worked just fine. Do not need the e-collar. Now that is old school. Pound away fellows!

I don't think anyone will dish you a pounding at all. I use the same things. I often forget my whistle. So I am lucky to have one of those deafning mouth whistles. Otherwise known as a shepards whistle. I use both the collar and positive reinforcement. Some soft dogs you just can not use hardly any if at all collar. How do some of you guys keep a dog in controll while hunting? with out a collar.
    http://www.bluerivergundogs.com/Home_Page.html

When you think you are smarter than your dog, ask your self who cleans up who's poo.

My dog is controller wise. If he has his collar on and is bouncing around in the truck all I have to do is hold up the controller. If I hold up my cell phone, which looks much like it, he knows the difference and just ignores me.

If we are in the field, collarless, and he gets too rangy, I just hide.

This is a good question Ken, I think it starts with "Basic Training". I Work with the dog on and off a leash until I have "instant obedience". Then I take them afield. With the 3 Means of Control, they do what is right. I should add I run my dogs daily in the field. So when we go hunting everything is fresh and they know how to act..........Bob
    Watching a Brittany Work Is like Watching Beauty Unfold.
    I Always Trust My Brittany Tony, He Knows More Than I Do.
    I may be old, but I have not grown up yet

Quote Originally Posted by bobeyerite View Post
    I always try to train my dogs to answer to 3 commands. Voice, Whistle and hand/arm. Tony at times stops and looks at me. All I have to do is point in the direction I am going or want to go. But like Calisdad said that takes a lot Repetitions. My dogs always wear their collars in the field. But I take them off as some as possible. I should add I use them very rarely.........Bob
    ditto - all three

I start a pup out using a clicker & treats to teach basic obedience. This also starts the pup out w/ a great attitude toward training. As he gets a little older, I switch from ā??click-treatā? to ā??click-retrieveā?, and eventually phase out the click.

I prefer to use positive reinforcement as much as possible for example, when the dog is punching out too far, I roll in a clip winged pigeon & call him back to find it near me. This gives him the idea that heā??ll find birds close to me. If heā??s not covering one side of his beat, Iā??ll plant consecutive birds on that side and cast him downwind of the bird so he learns that when I give a cast, he should take it.

Quote Originally Posted by bobeyerite View Post
    This is a good question Ken, I think it starts with "Basic Training". I Work with the dog on and off a leash until I have "instant obedience". Then I take them afield. With the 3 Means of Control, they do what is right. I should add I run my dogs daily in the field. So when we go hunting everything is fresh and they know how to act..........Bob
    Bob, britchaser, great points, could not agree more. you dont spend time with the dog, when its young, imo, you've missed your opportunity, to teach that dog, to hunt. JUst like kidds, your better, get control of them, when they are young.