Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: new to this forum

It would be december january for me. I have some top beagles too. If we dont find birds I know we can som rabbits. I have a 6 dog trailer and a huge dog box so thinking I would bring 3 pointers and 3 beagles and try to hunt both. If I am going that far 12-14 hrs we would stay a week. thxs for the info. Any walk in areas info would be great!!
    bobby g

I'm down by the Ohio River in south central Ohio. I'm actually thinking of skipping SDs opener and waiting til mid December to do a Kansas/Nebraska hunt. The quail are tempting me, not to mention the possibilty of bagging 7 pheasant in one day. I'm an optimist when it comes to pheasant hunting. I know what's waiting in SD but a chance to pull the trigger several more times in a day has me thinking KS/NE.

I am in the Bethel area. Seeing quail and phes everyday this past week. They are flying pretty good. We have some really good habitat,gravel and dirt rds, creek bottoms bean and corn fields with tons of cover. Surrogator has a batch ready to go in 10 days. I am going to run 2 more batches before nov. Should make for a few good hunts.Folks on the Rd are seeing birds as well.

steele the limit in kansas and nebraska is 4 oer day not seven sorry
    A Bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush

Kansas daily limit-4 plus Nebraska daily limit-3 equals 7 birds- Like I said -I'm an optimist.

Live south east of Cleveland. Farm and hunt west of Wheeling

Quote Originally Posted by beaglebob1 View Post
    Lets get something started in our Ohio..I have English Pointers and a surrogator in operation at this time. I raise phes and quail on my farm and stock several in my area. hunting is fair to good.
    bobby g
    Hi Bob, I am looking for a segregator. What are you using and how do you like it? I am just north of rt70 near New Athens. We have 200 acres of mixed land and are surrounded by some 1200 more. I want to try to release some birds. We have some Grouse and Quail that have been around for about six years. We have not hunted them and they stay close to the food plots.

Bill

Guys, I made the drive from Ohio to Kansas last year for the first time. We got on pheasant, quail, and chickens. It was awesome. We are going back again this year for sure the week of Thanksgiving (same week we did last year). We leave the Saturday before Turkey Day to drive out. We then leave Kansas to return to Ohio the Friday after Turkey Day. That puts us back in time for the opener of Ohio deer. I can't say enough good things about Kansas. However, don't expect to see a hundred birds a day like they talk about in S.D. In Kansas the wild birds are not supplemented with the pen raised birds like S.D. does. You do have to work a little bit but it's worth it. I'd love to get an Ohio group together to go out there this year. I'm no expert, but I do have a feel for the area now and have a couple good spots. Anyone is welcome to join us (my dad and I) for all or part of the week.

A big HOWDY from Texas!
    JMc
    Fritch, TX