Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 271,126

Default 271,126

The 2009 Iowa pheasant harvest was 271,126 the lowest ever recorded and 100,000 below 2008. This number is reported by the DNR based on post season hunter surveys. Unfortunately the harsh winter of 2009-2010 means the harvest this fall will be even lower.

I think the harvest will be higher this year as long as there is a decent hatch. The low harvest was because of the extremely late harvest followed by a ton of snow. The birds were there, just not accessible.

Good point pheasantaddict, you are right about the very late corn harvest limiting last years pheasant harvest. I do think we lost more hens than average this winter, but with a "normal" fall hopefully we'll be up this year. That's the exiting part about seeing what's really out there, and why its hunting and not shooting.

I agree with Addict. I do not think that number was due to lower bird numbers but a crappy hunting season.

Maybe is we hunted on this side of the boarder more Niceshot we could help raise that number. I shot more birds in MN last year than IA.

My wish is there's more birds inside and outside the borders of Iowa to enjoy this and every fall.

wow iowas deer harvest was 136504 last year who would of ever thought we would have so many deer and so few pheasants.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcloud27 View Post
    wow iowas deer harvest was 136504 last year who would of ever thought we would have so many deer and so few pheasants.
    I've hunted Iowa and saw more deer than pheasants! And that was a few years back.

Good news for UGUIDE. Job security as they say.

Addict, has it nailed. IA has as good a pheasant hunting as you would need. pleeeennnnty of birds. The harvest was down because I stayed in MN.
    http://www.bluerivergundogs.com/Home_Page.html

When you think you are smarter than your dog, ask your self who cleans up who's poo.

Default ????????

I have seen some pretty large cluches of birds this year if they can aviod the predators we may have some birds in our area this season
    BANG !!!! DEAD BIRD