Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Serious Question

Default Serious Question

Has anyone ever tried to shoot a shotgun with bifocal glasses on? How did it work? Please share your experience/advice.

Quote Originally Posted by niceshot View Post
    Has anyone ever tried to shoot a shotgun with bifocal glasses on? How did it work? Please share your experience/advice.
    It's a *&#@& bitch!! To put it mildly.

Try shooting the open sight muzzleloader - that is even worse.

At first I would hunt without the bifocal's but after a few more years I needed stronger glasses and so hunting without glasses wasn't an option anymore.

Welcome to mid-age! You can compensate by carrying more shells.
    Last edited by landman; 03-21-2010 at 03:37 PM.

I tried it and the bifocal lines kept getting in the way. As The Bifocal part is mainly for reading, I had a pair of shooting glasses made. These glasses are my regular prescription, for distance and general seeing. Seeing I was having them made for me I got them in the color/tint I liked best for Hunting and Shooting Trap. I can say after having them for several years, they work just fine. I got mine on sale for around $69. Keep a eye out and you see sales on TV and in the newspaper all the time..........Bob
    Watching a Brittany Work Is like Watching Beauty Unfold.
    I Always Trust My Brittany Tony, He Knows More Than I Do.
    I may be old, but I have not grown up yet

landman, how would it work if you got pair of glasses to correct nearsightedness and/or astigmatism without the bifocal lenses? Would that work any better? I am guessing, but I wouldn't think that you need to see up close (i.e. reading) to shoot roosters.

Default bifocals

I tried everything I could think of and now I just use my bifocals. I have no line and transition lenses. I find that if I push them as far into my face as they can go it works the best for me. As long as I can see my dogs and walk, shoot and hit birds I am not complaining. BUT planning on it soon!!

could be a lot worse. i started wearing bifocals at the ripe old age of 1 1/2. after forty i had to wear tri focals. have never had a problem shooting. some thing i got use to. about 5 years ago i started having very poor eyesight. i was turkey scouting with 2 friends and said hey look at those 3 big toms out in the field. they looked at me strange, where do you see 3 toms? i said right there in the middle of the field. i looked closer and thought thier beards looked funny. i strained my eyes to see better and i t turned out the long beards were the tails of 3 angus cows. time to see eye doctor again ended up having to wear prism lenses for awhile then had 2 eye surgeries at mayo clinic. after first surgery vision was perfect for awhile them brain couldnt accept it. brain and eyes quit working together and i had distinct double vision not just over lapping images like before 2 of every thing 2 roads 2 cars 2 stop signs life sucked tried hunting geese a single looked like a pair. had to quit shooting archery and shotgun for a year second surgery worked brain finally accepts what it sees. have the best vision i have ever had clear. still wear tri focals. take care of your eyes guys vision is a gift we just dont know how great a gift it is until we have problems with it. i was lucky 2 hospitals said there was nothing that could be done for me i was VERY depressed over it. wife got me a referal to mayo clinic and doctor said he could fix me with 2 or 3 operations. glad he did it in 2 operations cause it really sucks having stiches on your eye balls

Contact lenses.

They REALLY work! Got to have a pair of reading glasses in your pocket though.

Quote Originally Posted by niceshot View Post
    I've been shooting with transition bifocals for nearly 20 years with no problem. However a few years ago I wanted a pair of tinted bifocals, and got lined ones to save a few bucks. I hate them.

Fitting bifocals is more difficult than single vision lenses. Find a really good optomitrist/optician. They had to remake my newest pair twice to get everything lined up correctly.

I once tried one of those "One Hour" places in the mall. The lenses they made were crap.
    Analog guy in a digital world.

Niceshot, I sen an ad on T.V. for Lenscrafters. They are real good glasses and I've been using then for trap and birds for about 4 years. But that my change Wednesday ...............Bob
    Watching a Brittany Work Is like Watching Beauty Unfold.
    I Always Trust My Brittany Tony, He Knows More Than I Do.
    I may be old, but I have not grown up yet

once you find a person good at setting up glasses stick with them worth thier weight in gold. hardest part about getting use to bi or tri focals i accepting fact only one focal plane will be in focus. either the end of gun will be clear and bird will be blurry or vice versa. i prefer to keep target in focus with a shotgun. archery is a whole different story i dont shot target league anymore. looking thru a peep sight at 2" at a scope 40" away at a 20 yard target totally sucks.