Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: killer raccoons in December

Default killer raccoons in December

Anyone ever come across aggressive raccoons in the dead of winter? This past December I was pheasant hunting South Dakota with some friends and two dogs. Temps were near zero with snow on the ground. We were pushing small islands of cattails on a frozen lake when my lab bumped into a big raccoon. The coon hissed and growled at my the dog. I pulled him off the coon and my lab immediately bumbed into another one on another island. I once again pulled the dog off, then the coon went after my buddy with his teeth showing, "barking" and growling. He shot the coon in the head and it was over. I saw more coon tracks in the snow heading for the other island so I got those guys and the dogs out of that area, but was shocked to see raccoons out in such cold weather. Anyone have the same problem in the dead of winter? I've bumb into them in the fall, but never during a cold snap.

Once they have denned up, they usually do not move much unless temps get near freezing. Was it nice just before you got there? Maybe they got gaught out a little.
    ________
    Ducati multistrada 1000 ds
    Last edited by Uncle Buck; 02-18-2011 at 03:47 AM.

Your friend shot a coon in SD. If he is also out of state does that mean he applied for and bought the $250 fur bearer license?

Beleve it or not it is common. The coon were not agresive, but rather defensive. They group up in cattails to den up. Especialy in areas with no trees. They sleep in a ball and get covered in them, and form a real nice den when the snow blows in. I have ran in to them many times while hunting cattails, They are usealy pretty slow and lethargic.I blasted 5 last time I ran into them. A good chance to harvest a few preditors.
    I know guys around here that take coon dogs out and hunt sloughs late in the year, then they do it during the day. Also have seen and heard of days driving around when the temp gets real cold quick and no wind, you can see where they are from the steam rising or more like your breath as you breath. Prety neat.
    Last edited by FCSpringer; 02-06-2010 at 09:27 AM.
    http://www.bluerivergundogs.com/Home_Page.html

When you think you are smarter than your dog, ask your self who cleans up who's poo.

Quote Originally Posted by moellermd View Post
    Your friend shot a coon in SD. If he is also out of state does that mean he applied for and bought the $250 fur bearer license?
    Self defence
    http://www.bluerivergundogs.com/Home_Page.html

When you think you are smarter than your dog, ask your self who cleans up who's poo.

Not unusual for coons to come out in thawing type weather in Dec. You encountered that many in a short time the area was probably infested with coons. Game bird nest destroyers. When a raccoon comes across a pheasant nest all eggs are lost.

Uncle Buck--
    Was it nice just before you got there? Maybe they got gaught out a little.

No. It was fridge cold with snow prior to heading out. By the what it sounds like from other posts, they must have been in a hibernating state. I've bumped into them before, just never had one attack a human before.
    Last edited by 1pheas4; 03-10-2010 at 12:51 PM.

I have run across many coons in cattail swamps. I was hunting a cattail patch last winter and my old setter female stuck her head under a bunch of cattails and came out with a coonskin hat. I had to pull him off her and gave him toss and he stated back at me. Mistake! Bird shot works on them too.

I had a coon come after my dog and me the last day of the season here in KS. I was walking back to my truck and had to cross a frozen creek bed. I got down the embankment and saw what at first I thought was a feral cat coming towards me before I realized it was a coon. Luckily the dog didn't know what it was and was more confused than I was and didn't try and eat it. It was swatting and growling and hissing right before I shot it. I thought maybe it might be rabid and kept the dog away. Would sure make me feel better if it was just being defensive tho

I was hunting in Kansas and had a bobcat stand up and want to start a fight.