Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Goodbye 2019-20 Season

Default Goodbye 2019-20 Season

What are your thoughts about this season?

Hunted a half day on the 31st in NW. Encountered half dozen pheasants in the distance and three coveys of quail. We found quail everywhere we hunted this season. I estimate we saw at least ten times as many quail as pheasants. A favorite spot, a weedy dry ditch, was wiped out by herbicide in the corn monoculture where we hunt. Not sure if anything will improve the pheasant hunting in the near term. Hope I'm wrong.
    - From the office of Colt, Stoeger, Browning & Savage
    - Kansas: Big Cock Country

Alot of hedgerows and waterways are being cleared in my area. They started this fall then got stopped by wet weather. Trackhoes and dozers sitting in fields waiting for frozen ground or drier weather.

Where I hunt its been so wet the last 5 years the ditches and waterways are bigger and thicker than ever with huge patches of cattails that are 10 ft tall that you cannot even walk thru. Plus the pastures have also grown up since the owner sold all his cattle 10 years ago and since it never really got cold the pheasants really didn't need to get into the thick crp grass. So I think there are way more birds than you really see. We hunted a 40 acres patch of crp that we couldn't get to because its been so muddy and about 50 pheasants burst out of it in one flush. Quail numbers were really good, not as good as 4 years ago but still way above normal.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Zeepo View Post
    Where I hunt its been so wet the last 5 years the ditches and waterways are bigger and thicker than ever with huge patches of cattails that are 10 ft tall that you cannot even walk thru. Plus the pastures have also grown up since the owner sold all his cattle 10 years ago and since it never really got cold the pheasants really didn't need to get into the thick crp grass. So I think there are way more birds than you really see. We hunted a 40 acres patch of crp that we couldn't get to because its been so muddy and about 50 pheasants burst out of it in one flush. Quail numbers were really good, not as good as 4 years ago but still way above normal.

Gary
    Best season for me by far pheasant wise. I don't hunt with big groups, normally me and 1 other person (maybe 2). Shot a 2 man limit 3x and one 3 man limit once this season. I agree, lots of quail, I would say an avg of 4 coveys a day. Walked a total of 106 miles this season. Feet are tired that's for sure.
    -Mark

I wonder, with all the moisture we had and the levels of the creeks that had risen how much that impacted bird numbers (quail) and possible displacement of coveys.

Quote Originally Posted by V-John View Post
    I wonder, with all the moisture we had and the levels of the creeks that had risen how much that impacted bird numbers (quail) and possible displacement of coveys.
    i kicked up nice coveys where there wasn't a tree or plum thicket within a mile of the birds....crazy how they have adapted and spread.
    pheasants? i guess i was hunting in the wrong counties.....it was horrible where i was at....that and my thoughts are that after 2-3 weeks of the season a lot of birds got pressured off
    the public ground...it never used to be that way, but in the last couple seasons it sure seems to be....it's all i can come up with, as many other guys on here have had a good year.
    i hunted a lot of places i had never been.....and just did not connect, hens were very scarce too......that was the most disturbing part of all.
    will be making big changes next season, that's for sure.

also saving my walk in maps, i want to see how much CRP ground gets plowed and planted.....that is concerning as well.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter94 View Post
    also saving my walk in maps, i want to see how much CRP ground gets plowed and planted.....that is concerning as well.
    I have WIHA atlases going back almost 10 years. First thing I do every fall when the new one comes out is compare it to the old one. Looking for good spots lost, new spots in my area to scout, etc. I can point to 6 great spots lost in the last several years. One was converted back to cultivation. I haven't driven by the others to see if they were also plowed up or maybe just snapped up by an outfitter. The outfitter that works my hunting area uses distinctive posted signs...

We only hunt 3 days in Kansas a year, so this is a small perspective. We hunt almost all private and an occasional WIHA usually in early December. We did notice quail were way down from last year. We only found a couple of small coveys until the afternoon of our 2nd day when we found a couple of nice coveys of 15 to 20 and actually shot a few of those. We have a favorite quail ditch that was surrounded by milo this year that we saved for the last day. We moved 1 rooster out of this half section. The ditch I suspect saw heavy flooding during the wet summer as fences were covered in debris. Ten miles west of where we normally hunt, a buddy of mine was finding around 4 coveys a day, nice coveys, but not so many pheasants.

We did see plenty of pheasants. Moved maybe 30-50 birds a day. Golden hour hunting in pastures close to feed was often great. We had as good a year if not better than previous 5 years on pheasants. Worst year on quail since 2012.

It was great to see my young dog lock down a couple roosters. The pheasants sat unusually well this year, and I believe this to be due to the thicker cover.

The state of Ks has on there hunting outlook for this past season how there is lots of CRP land that will come out of the program that has been enrolled in walk in hunting .

Where we hunt private ground out west nine Quarter sections will be coming out of CRP , I think we will see a significant decline in Pheasants numbers in our area of operations .

I think a bright spot / opportunity might be in tall wheat stubble habitat cut with a stripper head and not sprayed to late summer .

My best hunt of the year came from a weedy Wheat felid me and hunting partner harvested 6 Quail and 8 roosters by 11:30 last Monday of the season . Best hunt since the 2009 :

Quote Originally Posted by KSBrittman View Post
    The state of Ks has on there hunting outlook for this past season how there is lots of CRP land that will come out of the program that has been enrolled in walk in hunting .

Where we hunt private ground out west nine Quarter sections will be coming out of CRP , I think we will see a significant decline in Pheasants numbers in our area of operations .

I think a bright spot / opportunity might be in tall wheat stubble habitat cut with a stripper head and not sprayed to late summer .

My best hunt of the year came from a weedy Wheat felid me and hunting partner harvested 6 Quail and 8 roosters by 11:30 last Monday of the season . Best hunt since the 2009 :

CRP disappearing is part of the problem for the pheasants no longer being widespread - Counting on wheat stubble soaked in chemical and run over with machinery is not proper brood rearing habitat. Yes they will utilize it late in the season and sometimes raise young there - but properly managed CRP next to the other types of transitional cover will grow more pheasants IMO --- if everyone starts pulling out all their CRP I hope we are faced with another dust bowl era - the government and landowners should have learned their lesson from the farmers passing the torch now - it appears the next generation is having selective memory.

(***I dont really hope for another dust bowl era - some of what is being done just seems so short sighted and uncreative - Some of these guys should study what this guy is doing https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...est-landowners )