Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 34

Thread: Birds are still out there...

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    324

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fsentkilr View Post
    Anybody that hunts and talks to other hunters will find out where the birds are regardless of social media. I shot a limit by 10 this morning on a WIHA area that has been hunted a lot. I know because I drive by it twice a day and have seen people in there a lot. This morning I saw a rooster fly out in it so I went to the pen and got my dogs and went back. I saw probably 12 roosters and 3 dozen hens. All four roosters I shot were pointed. One of them I actually saw his tail feathers sticking out of the snow before I kicked him up. I guess I don't buy that more hunters is the probably in the areas that don't have birds. I think weather and habitat have more to do with it.
    Sounds like you are having a nice end to the season!

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    South Central, KS
    Posts
    603

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fsentkilr View Post
    Anybody that hunts and talks to other hunters will find out where the birds are regardless of social media. I shot a limit by 10 this morning on a WIHA area that has been hunted a lot. I know because I drive by it twice a day and have seen people in there a lot. This morning I saw a rooster fly out in it so I went to the pen and got my dogs and went back. I saw probably 12 roosters and 3 dozen hens. All four roosters I shot were pointed. One of them I actually saw his tail feathers sticking out of the snow before I kicked him up. I guess I don't buy that more hunters is the probably in the areas that don't have birds. I think weather and habitat have more to do with it.

    My only point was that (not this site as folks have been better about it - but places such as FB most specifically - make hotspotting very easy to do - and folks on FB do not censor themselves very well - especially out of staters visiting KS - they are the biggest offenders I've seen in online posts about giving a location -- so where I was going with all of this is that most places do not have birds anymore - KS population has went to the crapper (generally speaking in that the good populations are more highly concentrated than ever before IMO) - so hotspotting now with fewer places to hunt and fewer birds to boot and on top of that more people from out of state traveling to hunt does tend to concentrate hunters.

    So how's that for a short explanation --- I'm just hypothesizing that is why the poster saw so many people. I know where you are Mike as I've been to the same city but probably hunting a different direction and would see people earlier in the season but saw no one this past weekend, I came home yesterday and was just tired - plus wanted to beat the bad weather and had to be home anyways by today - folks I talked to the previous couple weekends weren't finding birds so I think that is why no one came back.

    But NW KS has been blabbed all over facebook (Saw a lot of posts in the OK and TX bird hunters groups - I think the KS hunt and fish group and the Wild bird hunters group policed folks giving locations a lot more which I certainly appreciated )- so one would tend to think NW KS would receive higher traffic with more folks openly talking about it and posting tailgate pics.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    South Central, KS
    Posts
    603

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I don't see people providing specific locations on this site, but maybe I have missed it. I provided a recap of my hunt from last weekend on this thread. I've re-read my post, and I don't think anything I wrote would make someone want to get out and go where I was, but maybe I'm wrong. I don't think social media posts have an effect on bird numbers. I would never give away any honey holes. Unfortunately, I don't have any these days as most of my hunting is on WIHA. I personally enjoy reading about other guys hunts. Not to try and figure out where to go but to understand what other guys enjoy about being afield.

    Not here -- I'm a member of a lot of FB bird hunter groups - there are some big ones that have mentioned NW KS many many times with tail gate photos - so Im guessing that is one reason -- also remember folks last year doing the same and for the same general area. Glad you had a good hunt and dont want you to think i was giving you a hard time - simply commenting on the effects of hotspotting which is a more modern issue with social media. Before I think the effects were somewhat delayed as you'd read a magazine article and the pressure would increase a year later -- now the pressure can increase in more "real time".

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Colony, Ks
    Posts
    643

    Default

    The public ground may get more pressure when it gets out an area holds birds. The birds will just move off the public on to private ground. When the pressure lays off the Public they will move back to it if the cover is good. The reason there are hot spots and places w/o birds is very simple. They haven't recovered from the drought years yet. The areas that had birds survive the drought the hunting is very good from what I have seen. It takes a long time for places that had sections and sections of ground w/o birds to come back. If you want to have a good year next year if we have a good nesting season, just focus on areas that have good numbers of hens this year. If we get several years of good hatches in a row, the birds will get spread back out and the areas w/o birds will get better.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    324

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KsHusker View Post
    Not here -- I'm a member of a lot of FB bird hunter groups - there are some big ones that have mentioned NW KS many many times with tail gate photos - so Im guessing that is one reason -- also remember folks last year doing the same and for the same general area. Glad you had a good hunt and dont want you to think i was giving you a hard time - simply commenting on the effects of hotspotting which is a more modern issue with social media. Before I think the effects were somewhat delayed as you'd read a magazine article and the pressure would increase a year later -- now the pressure can increase in more "real time".
    Didn't take your post as giving me a hard time at all. I was just giving my opinions too. I understand what you are saying. This upland game is a lot tougher than it used to be for many reasons. I still enjoy it and hope it turns around.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Topeka KS
    Posts
    178

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I don't see people providing specific locations on this site, but maybe I have missed it. I provided a recap of my hunt from last weekend on this thread. I've re-read my post, and I don't think anything I wrote would make someone want to get out and go where I was, but maybe I'm wrong. I don't think social media posts have an effect on bird numbers. I would never give away any honey holes. Unfortunately, I don't have any these days as most of my hunting is on WIHA. I personally enjoy reading about other guys hunts. Not to try and figure out where to go but to understand what other guys enjoy about being afield.
    People on facebook Hot Spot like NO OTHER. It's literally an epidemic. I've even seen guys in the Wild Bird Hunters group on FB post exact WIHA locations. It's almost always out of state hunters doing it with other out of staters coming to KS.
    -Mark

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    324

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MAB7799 View Post
    People on facebook Hot Spot like NO OTHER. It's literally an epidemic. I've even seen guys in the Wild Bird Hunters group on FB post exact WIHA locations. It's almost always out of state hunters doing it with other out of staters coming to KS.
    That just seems crazy to me, but I guess if they aren't planning to come back to KS again until next year they don't care about giving exact locations. I was very fortunate to have access to all the private ground we could hunt from the time I was 12 until I was about 30. Now, other than a small amount of private ground around Oakley, all of my hunting is done on WIHA. I work way to hard for the birds I get to share spots.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    South Central, KS
    Posts
    603

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MAB7799 View Post
    People on facebook Hot Spot like NO OTHER. It's literally an epidemic. I've even seen guys in the Wild Bird Hunters group on FB post exact WIHA locations. It's almost always out of state hunters doing it with other out of staters coming to KS.


    This is exactly what I was talking about. It's cooled a bit this year as I think the moderators cracked down a bit but the Ok Bird hunting and TX Bird hunting groups which are dang big do not police it at all.

  9. #29

    Default Lost Transmitter

    Have lost a DT Systems Model-300 transmitter in Rush County,WIHA#16(approx. location 100yrds from South boundary on SW SW1/4 SEC17 TOWN.17S Range16W,40acre,WIHA name#16).
    Hey sportsmansont'know you but it's been a pretty rough year for upland hunters,farmers and residents of the great state of KS.Anyway to the subject,were on our traditional Father/Son 1-30 Hunt,really didn't to expect much success,I'm sure most will agree it's not about the number of kills its mostly about father/ son god given opportunity.Sorry for the sermon but felt it needed to be said.Anyway don't expect to to recover the transmitter,who knows I might find it next season because I will be back God willing.Will pay reward & great oppression
    It's not about the hunt but the thrill of the chase:

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Manhattan Ks
    Posts
    637

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    That just seems crazy to me, but I guess if they aren't planning to come back to KS again until next year they don't care about giving exact locations. I was very fortunate to have access to all the private ground we could hunt from the time I was 12 until I was about 30. Now, other than a small amount of private ground around Oakley, all of my hunting is done on WIHA. I work way to hard for the birds I get to share spots.
    Agree with this and with Mark.
    I post pictures of my dogs pointing on my personal FB page and I'll have people ask my publicly where I was hunting. My response is simply "outside". I'll never ever ever post where I'm hunting publicly unless I'm hunting out of state, and then maybe I'd give the state. That's it. I don't know why people would post anything more specific then that. It blows my mind.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •