Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Birds are still out there...

We saw one other group on Friday. Didn't notice the plates to see what state they were from.

I was out in Dodge a few weeks before, the weekend of 1/11-1/12, and I was surprised by the number of hunters I saw at the hotel and out in field. The numbers show pretty clearly that there are fewer hunters than in the past, but it seems we've lost the casual/occasional hunters. If anything, there may be more dedicated hunters. Certainly there are more hunters comfortable with pay-to-play and leasing.

I was in NWKS two weekends ago and was surprised with the amount of hunters we ran into. Thereís always some other groups of hunters around, but they were all over the place that weekend. The motel we stayed at was almost completely booked full of hunters.

Busy killing geese here. Duck season was good as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Kansan View Post
    I was in NWKS two weekends ago and was surprised with the amount of hunters we ran into. There’s always some other groups of hunters around, but they were all over the place that weekend. The motel we stayed at was almost completely booked full of hunters.

This is what happens when everyone blabs their mouth online. Luckily the places I like to go haven't been talked about much so not much competition.

Quote Originally Posted by KsHusker View Post
    This is what happens when everyone blabs their mouth online. Luckily the places I like to go haven't been talked about much so not much competition.
    I make a handful of trips to the same area every year, and there generally arenít too many other hunters around. Since it was near the end of the season, I figured it was people going out for a final hoorah.

Quote Originally Posted by Kansan View Post
    I make a handful of trips to the same area every year, and there generally aren’t too many other hunters around. Since it was near the end of the season, I figured it was people going out for a final hoorah.

Maybe - but it amazes me on social media how folks blab about where they go - we've seen upland birds go from great in the 90s/00s to the crapper now in short order - Social media makes it even easier for folks to hotspot - NW KS is one of the ones I've seen talked about A LOT! (I'm not saying you did this - just my hypothesis as to why you saw so many people)

Quote Originally Posted by KsHusker View Post
    Maybe - but it amazes me on social media how folks blab about where they go - we've seen upland birds go from great in the 90s/00s to the crapper now in short order - Social media makes it even easier for folks to hotspot - NW KS is one of the ones I've seen talked about A LOT! (I'm not saying you did this - just my hypothesis as to why you saw so many people)
    I don't see people providing specific locations on this site, but maybe I have missed it. I provided a recap of my hunt from last weekend on this thread. I've re-read my post, and I don't think anything I wrote would make someone want to get out and go where I was, but maybe I'm wrong. I don't think social media posts have an effect on bird numbers. I would never give away any honey holes. Unfortunately, I don't have any these days as most of my hunting is on WIHA. I personally enjoy reading about other guys hunts. Not to try and figure out where to go but to understand what other guys enjoy about being afield.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I don't see people providing specific locations on this site, but maybe I have missed it. I provided a recap of my hunt from last weekend on this thread. I've re-read my post, and I don't think anything I wrote would make someone want to get out and go where I was, but maybe I'm wrong. I don't think social media posts have an effect on bird numbers. I would never give away any honey holes. Unfortunately, I don't have any these days as most of my hunting is on WIHA. I personally enjoy reading about other guys hunts. Not to try and figure out where to go but to understand what other guys enjoy about being afield.
    This site has gotten better about not providing locations, but it's not hard to dig up info and figure out the general area in which most guys hunt (Especially if you've been on here long enough). I will tell you last weekend I made a trip to a new area I had never been and I went because of reading some stuff on this website. Ended up getting into more birds than I had all season. I shot my 4 bird limit by 8:30 on Saturday!

I dont think giving specific locations effects the bird populations as much as it effects the number of people that will hunt that area. The birds will just move to a different location. The area I hunt has been mentioned on this site and other sites and the numbers of hunters I have seen has increased drastically. Especially out of state hunters and especially during the holidays and holiday weekends. Which is good for the local economy and does not bother me because I hunt only private ground. People read the posts and look for starting spots which is a good way to do it if you are not familiar with the area.

Gary

Anybody that hunts and talks to other hunters will find out where the birds are regardless of social media. I shot a limit by 10 this morning on a WIHA area that has been hunted a lot. I know because I drive by it twice a day and have seen people in there a lot. This morning I saw a rooster fly out in it so I went to the pen and got my dogs and went back. I saw probably 12 roosters and 3 dozen hens. All four roosters I shot were pointed. One of them I actually saw his tail feathers sticking out of the snow before I kicked him up. I guess I don't buy that more hunters is the problem in the areas that don't have birds. I think weather and habitat have more to do with it.
    Last edited by fsentkilr; 01-28-2020 at 06:48 PM.