Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking of hanging it up

I enjoyed some good hunting this year and saw healthy numbers of birds. I know several others who had some great hunts as well. I hate to hear that some had a tough year, but itís not all doom and gloom!

For me it is more about being out there than the birds. I moved to NE Ks 15 years ago so I get to chase upland 4 or 5 times a year which is more than worth it to me. We only shoot a few birds every time we go but just getting one makes it a successful trip in my eyes. I still waterfowl hunt or fish most weekends so I think that it has become a change of for me has made me respect and cherish the times I can go vs being about the number of birds.

For me it's about the birds. I'm not embarrassed to say it. I love chasing, killing, butchering and eating animals, especially birds. It's better with dogs, it gets me outside, moving and being active, it gives me an excuse to spend lots of time in Kansas, a place I dearly love...but it's about killing birds.

And I've killed a lot of pheasants this year. I've had a better season in Kansas for pheasants than ever before. But I also know that my experience is just single data point in a set of data, and doom and gloom or not, pessimistic or not, I don't know how a person could look at the data sets (climate modelling, industrial agricultural practices, species collapse, insect declines, etc.) for wild upland birds in the Great Plains and not come to the conclusion that we are barreling towards the end.

My post was about birds. I love dog work, at one time I run a string of 7 pointers, this year there was no dog work, as there was no birds. I'm just thinking that the hours and days I spent being optimistic, I might just need to spend my time on something more productive. I have spent days seeing only a few birds in years past, but this year, was a complete bust. I just dont know if it's worth the effort. I agree the birds will rebound, but will we see 100 birds a day like years ago? My boy that's 16 really wants to get into the upland game, as he enjoys my stories, but walking for hours on end....or days....or this year for a whole year, maybe we should just concentrate on a longer fishing season. We fish about weekly till hunting season, but maybe we should just give up upland hunting. The comment on taking a trip east was priceless. Is it about the birds? Yes, as the birds give us reason to enjoy the sport. How many people can honestly say that they have a great time without a bird, or a fish, or at least the chance at them....that is point of the whole sport. With the birds...not.limits, but a few shots a day, will keep a guy coming back....just a few...but none? If there are birds, lots.of great memories....but memories can be made, without the birds...at another activity.

I personally have only shot 15 roosters this year and was curious to how many some of you shot. Not your groups, just your personally. That might give us a better way to gauge the season. For me it was a down year, a way down. Probably my worst year since 2002. I don't know what some of you consider good numbers but for me, walking a field and kicking up at least 25 would be good. Many years, we would witness a tornado of birds where 150 birds in a group would explode out of wind break. Not very often, but it would happen. This year, I might walk a field and flush less than 5 birds then walk 2 or 3 in row with nothing. I don't think I ever walked a field this year where I saw more than 15 birds. A couple of good hunts but for the most part birds were few and far between. I don't know how many times in January I would be on a school bus heading to a basketball game somewhere with snow on the ground, and we would see pheasants every where along the side of the highway getting salt and sand. This year, and the last couple of years, not a one. This was always a good indicator of bird population at the end of the season. So how many did you all shoot? I know some of you said it was a good year and that you saw birds but what did you see and what did you shoot? A good hunt and a healthy bird population have different meanings to each us so give specifics.

15 birds and hunted 14 days. Not done yet though. I had 2 hunts where I could have shot 2 more birds. Both were where I had 2 downed birds and didn't want to shoot a triple for the fear of not being able to mark all 3 and potentially losing one. I shot at 19 birds this season taking 15 and failing to recover only 1.
    Last edited by westksbowhunter; 01-20-2020 at 06:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by westksbowhunter View Post
    I personally have only shot 15 roosters this year and was curious to how many some of you shot. Not your groups, just your personally. That might give us a better way to gauge the season. For me it was a down year, a way down. Probably my worst year since 2002. I don't know what some of you consider good numbers but for me, walking a field and kicking up at least 25 would be good. Many years, we would witness a tornado of birds where 150 birds in a group would explode out of wind break. Not very often, but it would happen. This year, I might walk a field and flush less than 5 birds then walk 2 or 3 in row with nothing. I don't think I ever walked a field this year where I saw more than 15 birds. A couple of good hunts but for the most part birds were few and far between. I don't know how many times in January I would be on a school bus heading to a basketball game somewhere with snow on the ground, and we would see pheasants every where along the side of the highway getting salt and sand. This year, and the last couple of years, not a one. This was always a good indicator of bird population at the end of the season. So how many did you all shoot? I know some of you said it was a good year and that you saw birds but what did you see and what did you shoot? A good hunt and a healthy bird population have different meanings to each us so give specifics.

15 birds and hunted 14 days. Not done yet though. I had 2 hunts where I could have shot 2 more birds. Both were where I had 2 downed birds and didn't want to shoot a triple for the fear of not being able to mark all 3 and potentially losing one. I shot at 19 birds this season taking 15 and failing to recover only 1.
    I started out with 4 limits and then went ,2, 1, 0,0,1. And haven't been out since and that 3 weeks ago.

So far personally, I'm up to 17 roosters in 9 days of hunting. The other day we were working dogs and I had three more I could have shot but they were not pointed so I passed up the shot. We've still got a few more days left and hopefully I can add to the total because they sure are tasty.

Birds have been spotty. And we've seen a lot of pressure in the area.

So looks like some of us old pro's are shooting the same amount of numbers. Between 15-20. A long way from the years where I would personally shoot between 50 and 75. Some years more.

33 pheasants and 15 quail. A couple 100+ days. Mostly days of 10-15 birds. I’m on a good luck streak and I haven’t missed much this year. I definitely have seen fewer roadside pheasants or pheasants out in green wheatfields than usual.

I've shot around 30 pheasants and 10 quail this year. But of those 30, around 15 were in the killed in the first two weeks of the season. I shot a limit my first four hunts I believe but I didn't miss much the first couple weeks of the season. Since then it's been pretty slim. I used to keep a journal and I shot between 50-60 a year for 10 years or so during the early 2000's before the drought. There's still some pockets of birds here and there but nothing close to what it once was. In Western Kansas we used to see them all over the roads early and late in the day and now you'll be lucky to see a couple. Things aren't getting any better and it's hard to stomach. I've got two bird dogs and it's getting harder and harder to get them into birds.