Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking of hanging it up

Default Thinking of hanging it up

Been upland hunting since I was 14, 50 now. This years results.....27 days, saw a total of 2 roosters and 1 hen. Yes I have good dog, and have never been afraid of wearing out the boot leather. But,.....this is an absolute joke. I went today, and no birds. Looking at my journal, 2012 was 47 roosters and 62 quail killed...this year 0. I have been all.over the state with the same results. I do.love the game, but I think this may be the end of the road.for me. I like the tradition, camaraderie, etc....but....this just might be at my limit of optimism. Any of you ever have a stretch of just utter frustration?

Hate to hear that but can understand why you would have those thoughts. I would say wait and see what next year brings. good weather during the hatch could improve things greatly. also maybe its time to look at heading to another state for a trip or two and see if that changes your perspective?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
    also maybe its time to look at heading to another state for a trip or two and see if that changes your perspective?
    I would agree with Matt's post.

Tough season all across the pheasant and bobwhite range, and the reality is it’s not going to get much better in the near term, and in the long term it’s about the least of our worries.

There’s no reason for optimism. Wild bird hunting is not going to be around much longer in the Great Plains. It’s already effectively gone in the south and the rest of the Midwest. Get it while you can here, pay to play the South Dakota or Texas games while they last in any real way, or go hunt some sparse western birds. Or quit. No amount of despair will fix it.

Not sure what you have been hunting as far as land but if public lands ie whia's I would agree with Matt's post of go see what other states have to offer. I have hunted KS, IA, NE and SD. In my opinion the lands leases but open to public hunting in KS have the worse habitat when compared to the other states. I understand the frustration in KS when it comes to bird contacts on whia's. If the habitat is not suitable these lands will not hold birds, nothing you don't already know. I think it might be more of a function of what parameters the state requires to get enrolled in the program. I will qualify this by saying I hunted the NC portion of KS so that is where I'm drawing my opinion from. Just my 2 cents.
    River - 3 yr old English Setter
    http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigr...&generations=5
    Bella - 5 yr old Brittany
    http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigr...&generations=5
    Ellie - 6 yr old Yellow Lab
    Jazi - 12/30/2005 -- 10/13/2017
    Kaci - 3/23/01 - -10/8/15

This year hasn’t been very good. In 2012 I was convinced I was done after three years of horrible drought. 2013-17 were the best years I’ve ever spent in the field. My hope was lost in 12. Didn’t kill a single bird in 2011 or 2012 down here in Oklahoma. Hang in there. My best hunts have been on public land.
    Last edited by akp; 01-19-2020 at 09:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
    Tough season all across the pheasant and bobwhite range, and the reality is it’s not going to get much better in the near term, and in the long term it’s about the least of our worries.

There’s no reason for optimism. Wild bird hunting is not going to be around much longer in the Great Plains. It’s already effectively gone in the south and the rest of the Midwest. Get it while you can here, pay to play the South Dakota or Texas games while they last in any real way, or go hunt some sparse western birds. Or quit. No amount of despair will fix it.
    Unfortunately I have mostly got to agree with you, although I am not quite that pessimistic. Mostly retired last year and now have the time to hunt multiple states, mostly all public land. Hunted Kansas for the first time this year and will have to say compared to the rest of the states it was as good as the rest. Yes if you are willing to pay SD still has some good hunting and some also in ND. Wiha's are as good or better than Wia's in SD or plots in ND. We were spoiled right after crp went in. The days of easy limits on public lands are mostly gone or I should say rare. Yes after a month of hunting this year I had some days of limits, also more 1 bird days and some blanks. Will I go next year, hell yes, probably even for longer. 20 years ago it was embarsing not to shoot a limit, now I can hunt all day and not have to worry about cleaning a pile of birds. As they say it is still better than work.

Wow glass half empty or half full, Since when is it about killing birds. I love the dog work and the vista's and the adventure's saw bird's every time I went out even my 1st rattler in which my britt pointed. So if you hang it up more opportunity for me. Th ere will alway's be birds and if you want challenge come to the up of Michigan and hunt the king of bird's ole ruff he will humble you and all the habitat you and your dog can handle.

Been upland hunting since I was 14, 50 now. This years results.....27 days, saw a total of 2 roosters and 1 hen. Yes I have good dog, and have never been afraid of wearing out the boot leather. But,.....this is an absolute joke. I went today, and no birds. Looking at my journal, 2012 was 47 roosters and 62 quail killed...this year 0. I have been all.over the state with the same results. I do.love the game, but I think this may be the end of the road.for me. I like the tradition, camaraderie, etc....but....this just might be at my limit of optimism. Any of you ever have a stretch of just utter frustration?
    I understand completely. I got to thinking the same thing over the last few years. Trespassing, the lack of birds, and the unbelievable hunting pressure caused me to have this thought more and more. At one time I had six dogs, a trailer, and thousands of acres to hunt. I averaged roughly 40 days afield until about 2017. I've been hunting Kansas for 30 years and consider myself in my hunting prime. I've shot quail or pheasant in 99 of our 105 counties. I love being in the field, and most of all, I loved my dogs.

As my last 3 dogs began to age I had to make a decision. A few years ago I decided that when I was down to one, I'd make a heartfelt decision on whether to move forward with additional dogs and equipment or hang it up. I had begun to question whether or not it's worth the effort to me anymore. Fighting the crowds, losing land to leases, slobs in the fields, folks hunting over the top of each other, and the lack of birds has encroached too much on my enjoyment.

When I lost my last dog suddenly in February, I knew that I was unlikely to continue. In October, I put my trailer up for sale on this web site and sold it within 24 hours. In November, I made one last opening day trip with a very close hunting partner. Hunting behind somebody else's dogs just isn't the same. Although I love to hunt, working behind somebody else's dogs is like watching a high school sports event. You may love the sport, but without your kid or family involved, you're just not as invested. We found some birds on opening weekend, saw countless hunters walking the same WIHA fields over and over, and suffered through the 70+ degree temps. I knew I was finished.

For those of you that say it's just about "being out there", why don't you travel to Illinois or Indiana for pheasant or to Georgia or Alabama for quail? Because it's about the bird numbers. You want the best opportunity to see birds. That doesn't mean that you need to put them in the bag, but you want see birds and work your dogs. I'm perfectly happy to hunt with a camera and used to run my dogs and take photos well in to March (before breeding season), but we all want to see bird numbers.

I'm young enough to start another string of dogs and I may someday, but things are going to have to change and I believe that's unlikely. There will be some up years and even some decent years, but the trend is downward and for me it's to the point of getting out. The CRP, hunter numbers, and habit is going to have to improve before I reinvest my time and heart into my favorite activity and at this time, I believe that's unlikely.

For those of you who still have the desire and passion for the best sport in the world, good for you. I wish you the best of luck and hope that you get into hundreds of bird contacts. For me, I will fondly remember the good 'ol days, big running dogs, and the thrilling anticipation only a solid point can bring.

Best of luck to you all!

Point!
    Last edited by Point!; 01-20-2020 at 08:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Point! View Post
    I understand completely. I got to thinking the same thing over the last few years. Trespassing, the lack of birds, and the unbelievable hunting pressure caused me to have this thought more and more. At one time I had six dogs, a trailer, and thousands of acres to hunt. I averaged roughly 40 days afield until about 2017. I've been hunting Kansas for 30 years and consider myself in my hunting prime. I've shot quail or pheasant in 99 of our 105 counties. I love being in the field, and most of all, I loved my dogs.

As my last 3 dogs began to age I had to make a decision. A few years ago I decided that when I was down to one, I'd make a heartfelt decision on whether to move forward with additional dogs and equipment or hang it up. I had begun to question whether or not it's worth the effort to me anymore. Fighting the crowds, losing land to leases, slobs in the fields, folks hunting over the top of each other, and the lack of birds has encroached too much on my enjoyment.

When I lost my last dog suddenly in February, I knew that I was unlikely to continue. In October, I put my trailer up for sale on this web site and sold it within 24 hours. In November, I made one last opening day trip with a very close hunting partner. Hunting behind somebody else's dogs just isn't the same. Although I love to hunt, working behind somebody else's dogs is like watching a high school sports event. You may love the sport, but without your kid or family involved, you're just not as invested. We found some birds on opening weekend, saw countless hunters walking the same WIHA fields over and over, and suffered through the 70+ degree temps. I knew I was finished.

For those of you that say it's just about "being out there", why don't you travel to Illinois or Indiana for pheasant or to Georgia or Alabama for quail? Because it's about the bird numbers. You want the best opportunity to see birds. That doesn't mean that you need to put them in the bag, but you want see birds and work your dogs. I'm perfectly happy to hunt with a camera and used to run my dogs and take photos well in to March (before breeding season), but we all want to see bird numbers.

I'm young enough to start another string of dogs and I may someday, but things are going to have to change and I believe that's unlikely. There will be some up years and even some decent years, but the trend is downward and for me it's to the point of getting out. The CRP, hunter numbers, and habit is going to have to improve before I reinvest my time and heart into my favorite activity and at this time, I believe that's unlikely.

For those of you who still have the desire and passion for the best sport in the world, good for you. I wish you the best of luck and hope that you get into hundreds of bird contacts. For me, I will fondly remember the good 'ol days, big running dogs, and the thrilling anticipation only a solid point can bring.

Best of luck to you all!

Point!

another tough year coming to a close.......last 2 years have been my worst ever, but being an optimist keeps me coming back. have one more hunt left before end of this month, short one, maybe two days and shooting a few preserve birds to ensure my young dog gets some solid bird work.

we went from 5 years of drought to too much rain this past year. we are also going to lose a lot of CRP ground that will be put back into production, record corn planting predicted for 2020.....ugh...shrinking habitat.....more preserve hunts may be needed.

yeah, i get it, i don't pretend it is all about fresh air and sunsets either......i want at least some decent bird contact when i go....i want my dog to be able to find some birds!
    when i don't even fire a shot it's depressing....not sure what the risk of loss of revenue in the pheasant belt will mean to those states going forward....not sure how much intervention can be done?

going to shoot a lot of skeet this summer....that will help me stay connected, but it sure won't help the dog....good thing he is a hard hunting pup with lots of prey drive, even when he isn't finding birds....hang in everyone, only 9 months until dove season.