Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Season has ended, how were your successes/experiences?

The area I hunted had considerably less birds than last year. I hunted only public access and shot 9 birds. I missed some easy shots during the season and should have had at least 4 more.

I had another real good year in NW iowa, but a late start with the harvest. Didn't even shoot a bird the first 3 weeks. Late season really turned on though and scads of 'em were out. I hunted all private ground, mostly CRP. Late season I turned to the antique doubles and a muzzleloader. One days limit was had in 90 seconds. I don't know how many birds I shot, but I reckon my setter had 60-70 shot over her from me, friends, and family.
    I do wish there other species of birds Iowa would develop more. I'd love to see more Huns in the north half of the state. And limits and season length could use revision...

Late to respond because I have been very busy after the season ended. I hunted a lot this year all over the northern counties and I have to say that I didn't see the umber of birds like our group has in the past couple of years. When we first started out I thought the season was going to be awful but that wasn't the case. We put up roosters every time we hit the fields but the numbers in some areas were pretty low. I will never complain if I only come home with one bird after an outing. In the North Central area of the state the bird counts were for sure down compared to last year. I don't mind having to work hard to enjoy this great sport. Best of luck to all of you in 2020!