Thread: First Hunt with my Oldest Son

Default First Hunt with my Oldest Son

Everything was ideal for an epic hunt. It was cold, windy and there was an inch of snow covering the exquisite fields of Eastern, Colorado. Unfortunately the birds were not where I thought they would be on this trip. My son remained enthused despite not taking advantage of the two opportunities that he was presented with during our long walk. We will get back at it again real soon.

https://youtu.be/5OZllcV4ERE

Iím happy for you.
    Take a little time for howlin' at The Moon!

Quote Originally Posted by hettmoe View Post
    Iím happy for you.
    Thank you. It was special. I wish he connected once because I know that would have put the hook in him. He will go again and keep trying.

Great video, especially the ending shot of you two! I keep on my youngest daughter, but don't pressure her. She's 12 & also has yet to connect with a rooster. But luckily, she doesn't seem frustrated at all at this point. If I keep getting her out there, she'll eventually get one & we'll see what effect that has on her. For now though, sometimes she carries her gun. Sometimes doesn't want to, especially on cold days, which I get. OK. She loves to walk along, see birds, learn stuff, and...mostly....watch the dog do his thing. Thanks for sharing.
    "Most pheasants in South Dakota don't react too well to #5s." -The Hunt for Red Rooster

Quote Originally Posted by A5 Sweet 16 View Post
    Great video, especially the ending shot of you two! I keep on my youngest daughter, but don't pressure her. She's 12 & also has yet to connect with a rooster. But luckily, she doesn't seem frustrated at all at this point. If I keep getting her out there, she'll eventually get one & we'll see what effect that has on her. For now though, sometimes she carries her gun. Sometimes doesn't want to, especially on cold days, which I get. OK. She loves to walk along, see birds, learn stuff, and...mostly....watch the dog do his thing. Thanks for sharing.
    Thank you for sharing. Happy that she remains enthusiastic.

I ended our hunt a bit early. The weather turned nasty (30 mph winds and ice) so I did not want to break his spirit. We had 3 more stops to make and I was sure we would eventually find the birds. I realized that it was not really about the birds at that point so we headed home. Please let us know when your daughter connects on a bird.