Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Safety etiquette question

Default Safety etiquette question

Just started upland hunting and had a question. When the dog is on point, I’ve been leaving the safety on (on my O/U) until AFTER I pass the dog. Then I flick it off

However , I’m wondering if I should be leaving the safety on until the flush ?

Thank you
    Last edited by SilverPigeon; 12-31-2019 at 02:45 PM.

I would and I do leave it on till the flush. Be safe.

Until the flush for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Roosterslayer View Post
    Until the flush for sure.
    Thank you kindly fellas

I always snick it off when mounting the gun for the shot. I also continually check it when walking and hunting to be sure it’s on. When starting out for the day I snick it off and on, different gloves, different gun, weather can all affect how the safety moves around. I’ve seen many a time and done it myself where the safety was on for a shot. Great for story time later. Gun going off when not supposed to is a nightmare to be avoided at all cost.

You already got the answer, but it's a really, really important answer. Absolutely no good reason to take the safety off until you mount your gun.
    "Most pheasants in South Dakota don't react too well to #5s." -The Hunt for Red Rooster

I slide it off as I am mounting it while the bird flushes. I also hunt behind a flusher. As others mentioned, I also "practice mounting/sighting/visioning shooting a bird" at the start of the day. Make sure gloves are gripping the gun, butt of gun isn't going to get stuck on my vest, remember how to site down the barrel. I don't know, things I've done thousands of times but for whatever reason I like to double check it all before the hunt. I also continually check the safety while hunting. I can recall one time I checked it and it was off. I have no clue how it got pushed off or for how long... kinda scared me though.

Great feedback. Glad I asked. Thanks again fellas

Agree with all above and one other thing that I do after a bird flushes is verity safeties are back on. Started doing that when guiding at the preserve and many times would hear the click after asking. Figure all it takes is one time and something really bad could happen. I also find myself checking my own safety multiple times a walk just to make sure all is good.

Yep, I check mine all the time. I mean, why not?
    "Most pheasants in South Dakota don't react too well to #5s." -The Hunt for Red Rooster