Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nw or sw

Default Nw or sw

Considering a early January pheasant hunt. Looking at new country, not sure whether to go nw or sw corners??? Havent been to Kansas in 6 years. Would like to get the dogs out for another 5 hunt day..am I crazy for considering such a venture? I am a retired wildlife biologist from a midwest state..

Yes you are crazy and Iím planing to do the same thing lol

Kansas ainít great but itís the only game in town in January as far as I know

Quote Originally Posted by bobman View Post
    Yes you are crazy and I’m planing to do the same thing lol

Kansas ain’t great but it’s the only game in town in January as far as I know
    I think most of the state of georgia is coming to kansas these day. Quail hunting is killing this state.

Quote Originally Posted by bobman View Post
    Yes you are crazy and Iím planing to do the same thing lol

Kansas ainít great but itís the only game in town in January as far as I know
    Also, nowhere else is great either.

Yep our quail in Georgia are gone itís really sad

Kansas is the Mecca for most out of state bird and deer hunting. ND gets the early hunters, Kansas gets the late season hunters.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownDogsCan2 View Post
    I think most of the state of georgia is coming to kansas these day. Quail hunting is killing this state.
    Agree!! Our quail are just getting shot to hell. 2013-14 was no doubt our best quail season in recent memory. Then the crowds came and it hasn’t been the same. Might have been 12-13 season. Either way those were prime!

Unless we get cold weather I’d stay home next month. Just got back from out west and very few birds. Hunted all public though. Very tough this time of year. I’d stay home and go to a game farm so the dogs can for sure get birds.

I thought 16-18 were the best years since the late 80's. But nothing in recent years comes anything close to what is used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by duckn66 View Post
    Agree!! Our quail are just getting shot to hell. 2013-14 was no doubt our best quail season in recent memory. Then the crowds came and it hasnít been the same. Might have been 12-13 season. Either way those were prime!

Unless we get cold weather Iíd stay home next month. Just got back from out west and very few birds. Hunted all public though. Very tough this time of year. Iíd stay home and go to a game farm so the dogs can for sure get birds.
    The last 5 years as I remember. Keep in mind I don't hunt quail but the incidental quail numbers the last two years have gone to crap. Big strings of dogs, dog trailers, week at a time. From November until the end of the season.Not enough ground for that kind of pressure.

Hunter numbers for quail in Kansas have been steadily declining for more than 50 years. Total days afield per hunter as well. There are about half as many quail hunters as there were 20 years ago in Kansas and they average about a bird and half a day. While quail numbers are certainly falling, the data just don’t support the idea that a bunch of out of staters are sweeping through Kansas hunting quail into extinction, or even meaningfully impacting quail populations.
    Last edited by s.davis; 12-28-2019 at 05:07 PM.