Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ice Conditions

Quote Originally Posted by UplandHntr View Post
    I dont think my wife and kids would agree with that
    Mike, as I left to hunt the other day, my wife reminded me as she often does, "Be careful with Ace!"
    I said, "I always am. But as long as I bring home sustenance for you & the girls, you don't particularly care what happens to me???"
    Her (acting like I'm not very funny): "Just make sure the dog gets home safely."
    "Most pheasants in South Dakota don't react too well to #5s." -The Hunt for Red Rooster

Yeah my wife cares more about the dogs than me. And yes I've gone in dragging one out of broken ice. But hey I don't sky dive so I must be playing it safe.

Most guys wont walk out on 4 inches of ice to begin with, especially on a river.

Quote Originally Posted by A5 Sweet 16 View Post
    Mike, as I left to hunt the other day, my wife reminded me as she often does, "Be careful with Ace!"
    I said, "I always am. But as long as I bring home sustenance for you & the girls, you don't particularly care what happens to me???"
    Her (acting like I'm not very funny): "Just make sure the dog gets home safely."
    Good stuff there! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by A5 Sweet 16 View Post
    hahah she's a keeper!
    Mike

Just returned from South Dakota. Most sloughs were frozen and we're ok to walk. Broke through in the cattails a couple times. Knee high boots are a must.

Guys older than 40 should wait till spudding a hole is over and auger season has begun. I read that somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by watermen View Post
    Guys older than 40 should wait till spudding a hole is over and auger season has begun. I read that somewhere.
    You can grow old, but you don't have to grow up.

Last year we were walking into some nice cattail areas in December. Two of us fell through the ice two different times up to our ass cheeks.
    It was fairly cold out. We just kept walking and hunted for probably another hour. Pants froze up, had under armour base layer on under the pants, but when we just kept walking/hunting, I never really got cold.
    After the hunt we went back to the farmhouse and dumped some water out of our boots and put some dry clothes on.

I am very skeptical of ice and not one to risk killing myself or my dog. I was pretty sure the water was no deeper than waist deep, so we proceeded to hunt the cattails, till we got banged up enough from falling through the ice, and got tired of it. Whenever I fell in, somehow my left shin would hit the ice, so the next 2 weeks my left leg hurt like hell.

Be Safe Everyone!

Got to hand it to you...you're avid! And you kept falling in? That's dedication!!