Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: cattail strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Labs View Post
    I love hunting cattails after freeze up. Labs are fantastic all around gun dogs, but they really excel at digging birds out of cattails. It really doesn't get any better than a lab going under snow & matted cattails and a rooster blowing out of the snow with the dog right on it's tail feathers!

My strategy is simple. Find frozen cattails reasonably close to a food source, add labs, and hunt into the wind. I found the best shooting is in smaller sloughs (narrow is better, no more than 40-50 yards of cover wide), particularly those that deer are using as they make trails in the cattails. I like to follow the deer trails through the crud (the birds also use them and the openings) and let the dogs work to either side of me. I hunt with insulated hip or chest waders even after freeze up, just in case...
    That's a good idea.I just hunted a car tail Creek a few days ago.There were birds in there, but the ice was too thin, and that crick was deep!! I didn't want my dog in there, very dangerous! Hip boots would have come in handy, in that place, but I couldn't cross the crick.

Cattails are made for labs and Goldens. Just plan on getting wet, this year was exceptionally bad, got wet in places I have never gotten wet at before. Large patches don't scare me, just take shots where you can mark the birds well. Remember your dog can't see s#$% from where he is at and he is going to be surrounded by bird scent. Even the big spots have deer trails, which the birds use just as well. Remember a spare pair of boots.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan swamp collies View Post
    Cattails are made for labs and Goldens. Just plan on getting wet, this year was exceptionally bad, got wet in places I have never gotten wet at before. Large patches don't scare me, just take shots where you can mark the birds well. Remember your dog can't see s#$% from where he is at and he is going to be surrounded by bird scent. Even the big spots have deer trails, which the birds use just as well. Remember a spare pair of boots.
    Cattails can be hard on a lab, and hunter!!

https://www.chicone.com/about-us/products/marsh-skis

Get a pair of skis and do the cattails like your great grandfather did. Just slide on through.

I had a pair 30 years ago. Got them from a old guy who was ending his hunting days. Bought skis, a Herter's duck skiff, dozens of decoys. Never should have let those skis go.