Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Late season NE Pheasants

Heading out week after Xmas. Was in Cambridge area for opener, saw decent amount of phez on public and private. Saw more quail on private than last year.

Jackrabbit here is my list of bullet points after a couple days in SW NE.

- Saw precious few birds hunting shrubby draws, etc. next to crops. I was hoping for mixed bag hunting but I have not seen a single quail. A few pheasants but just darn few.

- Huntable numbers of pheasants in bigger CRP fields. Had one field with decent numbers, and a few fields with only a couple birds, but only one that I didnít see any.

- Iíve read a lot of complaints online about KS WIHA fields with no cover. My experience with NE is most of the Open Fields have quite good cover.

- The big crp fields where Iím finding birds are tough hunting, but in this day and age nobody expects public land birds to be a cake walk. If you hunted this area smart and hard (and shoot straight!) 1 or 2 birds a day should be in reach even in a down year.
    Last edited by Makintrax73; 12-10-2019 at 07:53 PM.

My experience is once you get west of McCook quail become non existent. South and east of McCook pheasants become slim.

Wrapped up a three day hunt today in SW Nebraska. Pheasants were pretty wild but we managed to scratch out a few. Quail numbers were very comparable to what we experienced in 2017. Three full days of hunting we flushed 60-70 pheasants and 8 coveys of quail. Ended up with three roosters and 22 quail. Not bad for three guys and three pups all under a year and half!

Public or private ground?

We hunted private two days and one day on public.