Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Aberdeen or Watertown?

Crazy. 2019 might be the worst year in a lifetime for weather (temps, wind, precip extremes), harvest (delayed) & climate (flooding/high water) across the Dakotas and Minnesota. Had a good early - mid season despite the lack of harvest and some issues with access.

Dropping through the ice to ones calf or knee is not fun. Dropping through to shoulders (or submerged) cannot be a good experience and downright dangerous especially if winter is full effect. So with that in mind have extra clothes and boots in the truck for everyone (and not back at some hotel). Couple of old sleeping bags is also a good idea.

Public land hunters impacted much more than the pay to player guys hunting narrow groomed strips of corn, sorghum, milo and grass

See "Sand Lake NWR pheasant hunting alert" in the main "Pheasant Hunting Forum". Confirms my suspicions mentioned above.
    "Most pheasants in South Dakota don't react too well to #5s." -The Hunt for Red Rooster

Anything within a mile or so of the James River is basically flooded. The public land outside of that area is still ok to hunt. The Refuge is just crazy right now. The Refuge employees and neighbors are driving through fields just to get to their homes. I've never seen it like this in my 20 years in SD.

Quote Originally Posted by mgorvi View Post
    Get them in 36”
    Been there; done that. They're great if you need to cross vast expanses of snow to GET to a spot to hunt. And sure, they'd keep you from getting wet in a slough most of the time. But have you ever tried trudging through cattails in them? Nearly impossible. If you're able to stick to the edge of the slough, or meander around in paths withOUT cattails....then they work. So far this season, though, my dog hasn't found a single slough that HE won't break through. And he's a young, skinny puppy w/ big feet.
    "Most pheasants in South Dakota don't react too well to #5s." -The Hunt for Red Rooster

Quote Originally Posted by A5 Sweet 16 View Post
    Been there; done that. They're great if you need to cross vast expanses of snow to GET to a spot to hunt. And sure, they'd keep you from getting wet in a slough most of the time. But have you ever tried trudging through cattails in them? Nearly impossible. If you're able to stick to the edge of the slough, or meander around in paths withOUT cattails....then they work. So far this season, though, my dog hasn't found a single slough that HE won't break through. And he's a young, skinny puppy w/ big feet.
    Yup it’s a heart attack just waiting. We only used them to get over the drifts to get to a spot, and around narrow rings of cattails surrounding pot holes, one guy on the ice and one guy on the outside, dog in the middle. Nothing worse than snow covered thin ice.

Everyone—-

While many have brought up good points-on areas and personnel safety in swamp and cat tail areas especially—if you go into a area it’s your choice!!
    BUT SENDING A DOG INTO THAT DANGER IS NOT THEIRS—BE WARE AREAS I HAVE HUNTED FOR YEARS WITH NO PROBLEM -WERE THIS YEAR DROWNING DEEP-A DOG BREAKING THROUGH THE ICE IN A AREA LIKE THAT IS IN DEEP TROUBLE-

A quick note on the snowshoe idea they are great for snow covered fields ect. HOWEVER—if you go through ice-cattails ect..you better have quick release bindings -OR YOUR NOT GETTING OUT IN DEEP WATER

Thanks guys for the reply’s. Safety is no 1 concern. With conditions the way they are this year we have decided to hold off on a planned trip and see what the state is looking like towards the end of the month and if anything do a last minute trip. Keep the reports coming,I’m sure they are very beneficial to everyone on the forum-that’s again

My second trip there were some guys at the motel that almost lost a dog. The guys son went in over waist deep to get there older short hair out after he broke ice. Be careful. I'm afraid what I might do if it were my dog don't like to think about it

I broke through up on the high line of Montana. It was 10 below, and windy.The water was chest deep.I threw my gun, and was able to climb out.Luckily, the truck was only about a quarter mile away!! My good hunting buddy, also fell through at the same time, 200 yards away from me.He was up to his neck. I never want to go though anything like that again! I will never hunt that ice again, we both could have died.20 below wind chill.Be very careful on ice! It isn't worth it.