Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pheasants Forever- SCAM or do they help upland hunters?

Quote Originally Posted by dustin mudd View Post
    "this collective thread is an Atomic CAN of Worms.... "

a couple of FACTS to insert, Pheasant Forever is a much newer organization but has affected 158,000 acres of habitat in the US to date. SECONDLY the amount of money that GOES to Mission is 91 % of what is RAISED. That money is used in accordance with Local chapter discretion. For instance in Montana there is over 5000 acres of public hunting purchased by partners including local PF chapters ... , managed by fish and wildlife dept.

there are other good habitat organizations, but you might check to see what percentage does land in the ground locally?

Lastly, if we don't support some grass roots organizations, in conjunction with the AG. community, and affect youth, where do our youth of the future learn about wildlife, and public hunting?

I would support a better idea , what might that look like?
    Where are you getting the 91% goes to supporting the mission...as for the youth....there was not PF when I was young, I would hope family provides a lot of the education and experiences.

This is a generalization but I believe is pretty accurate. PF Chapters are able to keep and spend all $$ locally that they raise locally (think banquets etc.). They choose their own leadership and also choose where these dollars go. Often times that is to private land habitat projects but many chapters do support youth hunting initiatives, public land acquisition and even do maintenance on public land parcels. I have not joined a local PF Chapter because as a fully committed freelancer I would want all dollars raised going to public access, public land acquisition/maintenance and hunter recruitment. The Chapters are all still very important and have created & improved countless acres of habitat which is and has been important to "macro" level habitat efforts. The vast majority of the pheasant range falls on private land and without habitat on private land pheasant (and other farmland wildlife) numbers would suffer greatly and probably fall to critical mass levels.

Again a generalization but I believe pretty accurate. The membership dues one pays to PF do not go to the chapters but to the national office. The national office supports important conservation lobby efforts in Washington DC and at the state level, manages programs to provide habitat & farm bill biologists (very important given how few $$ states now spend on small game), supports youth hunting & hunter recruitment, supports public land access and acquisition etc. These dollars are IMO dollars well spent and not at all wasted on a "scam". See below for how PF is viewed as a charity. They are usually one of the highest rated conservation charities out there scoring better than larger and more established organizations like DU, Delta Waterfowl etc.

https://www.charitynavigator.org/ind...ary&orgid=4319

As for PF not supporting public hunting and public land acquisition this is also not true. They do a great deal of work here and are really effective at organizing and leveraging matching $$$ from the states, Feds and other conservation organizations with PF $$$ to help overcome the high cost of land purchase. PF efforts here are most evident in states like MN, IA & IL where membership participation is highest and there is a larger interest in permanent public land acquisition from hunters

https://www.pheasantsforever.org/Hab...life-Area.aspx

Before someone hits the easy button on this discussion/argument I don't work for PF and the info above is well known or took all of two minutes to look up on google.

If pheasants and public land pheasant hunting is important to you I don't think one can go wrong with investing in a PF membership and tossing whatever $$ you can spare at a Build a Wildlife effort in your state.

If you can find a local chapter whose values align with your values that is great way to go as well.
    Last edited by Downtown Bang!; 11-28-2019 at 07:49 AM.
    Chasing Roosters with a flushing dog on public land. As God intended.......

I'd think my membership through more closely if it were $3500, or even $350 annually...but it's $35...and I got a cool T shirt...and a year ago a knife...and two years ago something else kinda cool...I'm not going to analyze too closely what they do, where my $ goes...at least they're not molesting kids, eh? So PF has that going for it!

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown Bang! View Post
    This is a generalization but I believe is pretty accurate. PF Chapters are able to keep and spend all $$ locally that they raise locally (think banquets etc.). They choose their own leadership and also choose where these dollars go. Often times that is to private land habitat projects but many chapters do support youth hunting initiatives, public land acquisition and even do maintenance on public land parcels. I have not joined a local PF Chapter because as a fully committed freelancer I would want all dollars raised going to public access, public land acquisition/maintenance and hunter recruitment. The Chapters are all still very important and have created & improved countless acres of habitat which is and has been important to "macro" level habitat efforts. The vast majority of the pheasant range falls on private land and without habitat on private land pheasant (and other farmland wildlife) numbers would suffer greatly and probably fall to critical mass levels.

Again a generalization but I believe pretty accurate. The membership dues one pays to PF do not go to the chapters but to the national office. The national office supports important conservation lobby efforts in Washington DC and at the state level, manages programs to provide habitat & farm bill biologists (very important given how few $$ states now spend on small game), supports youth hunting & hunter recruitment, supports public land access and acquisition etc. These dollars are IMO dollars well spent and not at all wasted on a "scam". See below for how PF is viewed as a charity. They are usually one of the highest rated conservation charities out there scoring better than larger and more established organizations like DU, Delta Waterfowl etc.

https://www.charitynavigator.org/ind...ary&orgid=4319

As for PF not supporting public hunting and public land acquisition this is also not true. They do a great deal of work here and are really effective at organizing and leveraging matching $$$ from the states, Feds and other conservation organizations with PF $$$ to help overcome the high cost of land purchase. PF efforts here are most evident in states like MN, IA & IL where membership participation is highest and there is a larger interest in permanent public land acquisition from hunters

https://www.pheasantsforever.org/Hab...life-Area.aspx

Before someone hits the easy button on this discussion/argument I don't work for PF and the info above is well known or took all of two minutes to look up on google.

If pheasants and public land pheasant hunting is important to you I don't think one can go wrong with investing in a PF membership and tossing whatever $$ you can spare at a Build a Wildlife effort in your state.

If you can find a local chapter whose values align with your values that is great way to go as well.
    I think you are on target here.

I've been a member for over 30 years. Helped start and organize the Brown County Chapter in Aberdeen, SD back in the mid 80's. I've seen an awful lot of good that PF does. I don't understand the negativity of this thread. Get involved, help out and see for yourself. If you don't like it then cancel your membership. Then you can't bitch about where the money goes. We are certainly better off by having an organization like Pheasants Forever.
    Janee's August Breeze - Bree
    7/6/2016
    http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigr...&generations=5

Godfather's Dakota Elle - Elle
    1X NSTRA Champion
    11/16/2008 - 11/22/2016
    http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigr...&generations=5

Quote Originally Posted by Dakotazeb View Post
    I've been a member for over 30 years. Helped start and organize the Brown County Chapter in Aberdeen, SD back in the mid 80's. I've seen an awful lot of good that PF does. I don't understand the negativity of this thread. Get involved, help out and see for yourself. If you don't like it then cancel your membership. Then you can't bitch about where the money goes. We are certainly better off by having an organization like Pheasants Forever.

I dont think this is a b fest and I'd like to think it's not full of negativity - maybe some of our perception is off base - I dont hunt other states for pheasants, never plan to - have went to OK to hunt quail twice and am looking to hit up TX, OK, NM or AZ for quail hopefully Feb 2020. My perception is KS based -- some inside information I got about the ranch purchase I discussed wouldnt shine the best light on some of the PF folks. A ranch like the one I was talking about would have been an easy purchase in my mind for the Nature conservancy - however the Nature Conservancy (on lands in KS) does not allow hunting and is restrictive with what they allow - so I do not feel they support hunters. I do not know what PF's motivations are as far as helping to provide additional hunting access in pheasant strongholds or developing habitat on places that would benefit all rather than a few. It doesnt seem they do either here.

I have been involved in a QF chapter and wasnt the best experience - guys were nice but just seemed dumb. I'm looking to support an organization where I'll get the most bang for my buck and time - as I get older time becomes less of a commodity and no sense wasting it.

PF I do believe could do more but wanting to learn if I'm off base or maybe my perception of what their mission should be is incorrect. We can't argue the NRA has and will continue to lose supporters and it seems PF has lost several here as well. I do not think they truly understand folks that are below a certain age or come from a certain background.

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown Bang! View Post
    This is a generalization but I believe is pretty accurate. .............

Good Post Downtown Bang

Quote Originally Posted by matto View Post
    I think what you've written above about access and habitat projects is pretty safe common ground--if I'm interpreting it correctly. Chapters should prioritize projects on publicly owned lands and WIHA lands before funding projects behind "posted" signs. That seems like a pretty reasonable position. My point is that I think they have more money for habitat projects than they have landowners willing to complete one, but that's just an assumption. That's why they end up funding R3 projects and buying food plot seed. I think they're raising more money than the cooperative landowners want.

Yes we agree and I do believe we share common ground.

If they have a problem of having more funds than willing landowners that are looking to participate it seems they have a problem and need to fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by matto View Post
    This is a long way from PF and how they spend their money, but here goes...

Good friend of mine once said that the easiest things to do were raise someone else's kids and run someone else's business.

One piece of advice on this subject--stop using the word "fix" or any other language that implies you're right and they're wrong. That's not going to get you anywhere unless/until you've attempted to provide for your family by raising crops.

I'm not going to try to "fix" our tenant's opinions or mindset. I don't think his mindset is broken. He and I just have different objectives, to some degree. Nor do I have the credibility with him or the knowledge base to believe that I know better than him.

I'm not sure pheasants can thrive on a landscape dominated by the ag practices necessary for a producer to maximize income. You seem to believe there are alternative ag practices that could break that paradigm. Maybe you're right, but the choices are either to prove it yourself or convince someone to gamble their own livelihood on it. The latter option being what you described as "fixing" a farmer's mindset.

The best fix is to create markets and structures where hunting for truly wild game birds has meaningful economic value to landowners and producers. IE, where a landowner/producer can monetize practices that favor wild birds.

I agree and share common ground with the bolded part 1000%. As far as using the word Fix - my word choice could be different - however I would like to think any of us with common sense can question the marketing prowess of the few ag companies that control the top of the food chain and their marketing/brainwashing practices -- who says they have the only correct option and way to do things? There are still old school guys that farm and make a living and are not on food stamps as someone here tried to sensationalize. Secondly I do believe wholeheartedly we collectively as a society have not studied or thought about what all these chemicals and changes we are perpetrating to the environment (at least on the prairies and breadbasket that I'm familiar with) where you go from a biosphere with likely 1000's of different species of plants and animals/insects all interconnected and living in a symbiotic relationship to one of mono-culture and a sterile environment -- I think you and I are familiar with a lot of the same places - there are areas around St John KS where the farmer (I'm assuming it's one operation) has for miles fields that look like golf turf - no weeds on the roads, fence lines etc - nothing but a sterile environment. Nary a sign of a living thing you'll see besides his cattle and a few holes in the ground I'm assuming is from mice. Drive exactly 12 miles to the south of Holcomb, KS - then look to the 30 sq miles to the south and west of that point - you will see as far I'm concerned an environmental disaster caused by modern farming practices that will take decades if not 100's of years to reestablish the natural sand sage prairie after the land was raped and the water shut off and farming abandoned. I've got photos of me hunting the area up to 2008 or so and it makes me want to vomit seeing what it turned into in such a short period of time.

I remember things as a Kid born in 1980 and loving to catch butterflies near Rose Hill on their migration - I always begged my mother to buy me a butterfly house or not sure what it was called but she'd get them at a craft show and I could catch them. I dont even know how many Monarchs we had fly through our place as a kid - they started to disappear and now it's rare to even seen one.

Anyways I do believe that upland birds are canaries in the coal mine so to speak and depend on a "specific" recipe for habitat and bio diversity that many other animals will benefit from as well. PF or whatever org carries the most weight should be working with the Ag industry and lobbying the govt to implement changes that will make us stewards of the land for those that will come after us - a byproduct of that will be sustainable game populations and I'm sure somewhere in there is a way for land owners to continue to find ways to make a healthy living.

20D41B01-E5E2-4097-8F8C-0305223ED358.jpeg

Here is the cover of the Nebraska public Access guide , habitat work is all about partnerships weather it be with the state , private Landowner, or working with other habitat organizations.

PF /QF Motto “Farm the Best Conserve The Rest “