Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Pheasants Forever- SCAM or do they help upland hunters?

Quote Originally Posted by Anantz35 View Post
    The worst part was the cover looked exceptional. The land I was hunting and all the land around had dream cover. If I was a pheasant biologist I wouldn’t change a thing.

? as I am curious - I've heard the comment (I've been in such and such area for 25 years and it hasn't changed....(not trying to be facetious, but a serious ?) -- If you look closely do you believe it is truly the "same" - IE weedy, lack of cool season grasses with plenty of overhead canopy cover but forbes down at ground level and plenty of escape and travel paths down low? I see NE KS where I presently live and parts of Eastern KS have a serious invasive species issue with cool season grasses, too many trees, lots of nest predators as a result of the change in habitat etc.

Quote Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
    Almost everyone whose head isn't buried in the sand knows what's going on.
    I'm all ears what is it? Why is available habitat not producing the numbers of game and song birds it is capable of?

Because wild turkeys eat all the pheasants and quail, as everyone knows...

Kidding. It's the poison and the climate.

That's a couple problems I agree, How would you explain the drops on control areas? Loss of birds on prime habitat with little ag influence. Specifically non sprayed native grasses or managed habitat. Climate has not changed native vegetation yet in my local 500 mile radius. Other factors have, but there still remain examples of prime habitat.

Quote Originally Posted by watermen View Post
    That's a couple problems I agree, How would you explain the drops on control areas? Loss of birds on prime habitat with little ag influence. Specifically non sprayed native grasses or managed habitat. Climate has not changed native vegetation yet in my local 500 mile radius. Other factors have, but there still remain examples of prime habitat.

I couldnt answer to your specific question as I haven't seen the land - all I know is if the weather cooperates in KS and you have the ingredients you need there will be pheasants and quail. Problem is here the ingredients you need in the right mix/order are harder and harder to come by or put together. IE my canary in the coal mine example -- Bees/Butterflies are probably the other one.

I'm pointing a large portion of the finger on the seed/chemical companies - as someone else used the word - they are poisoning our environment and we collectively are doing this work for them. PF meanwhile as someone else alluded acts like the 1980s tactics and approach will work.

Gotcha The trend is down.

Quote Originally Posted by watermen View Post

I was thinking about this a little more - I dont know if Troy (Prairie Drifter) is still active here or not on the KS forum - but he had a good analogy I think either here or one of the videos the wildlife and parks put up (I think it was him anyways) --

Are your examples of prime habitat really just "Islands" of habitat that are isolated from other areas of good habitat and are not interconnected?

IE if you think back - you could have a quarter of CRP - but maybe attached to it would be a thick hedgerow next to an ag field that didnt get heavy chemical applications in the past - or a weedy fence row and this would be the travel corridor to connect to the next patch of say 10 acres of marshland that's dry 6 plus mos out of the year and provides good cover during "X" season - it then connects to the next one and so on. Or maybe you have a section of CRP left alone but it hasn't been grazed in 15 years or burnt in 20 and now it's just a thick mat down at ground level

Maybe some of the explanation -- anyways the "Islands" of cover hypothesis I've seen is that the birds are really trapped on an island and one small thing happens they have nowhere else to go or hide or ways to move/travel around like in the past to change up the genetics or move when environmental conditions necessitate they do to another area with more favorable conditions.

I hope that makes sense and that I'm on the right track.

KS would greatly increase their bird #'s if the CP33 edge program was really pushed and a lot of acres (that connected) were enrolled in ag/crop land.
    Last edited by KsHusker; 12-04-2019 at 09:39 PM.

Interesting. I guess I fall into the old category, been chasing birds in America(lower 48) since the 80's, maybe you could say the 70's if you counted the years in college in Wisconsin. PF could be better, but as some have commented they are better than nothing. From what I've heard the local chapters can do the most good, well yeah I would like to improve my local hunting the most. So they get a few more benefits like hunting private ground, well they deserve it. The big picture, I mean from the Canadian border to the southern range of pheasants is the real question. All of them are a fraction of what they were in the heyday of CRP. But is the loss of CRP the issue or is it something else like roundup? Maybe a better national presence to address the big picture rather than each state is needed.

I can't speak for other areas but here the weather the last 4 or 5 years has been a major factor. Yes crop insurance and ethanol are contributers but in my case I have a lot of habitat and this year I went backwards. We had few hens survive last winter. The ones that did fed with my cows and lived in the trees.

It is a death of a thousands cuts. Loss of crp hurts, the switching to corn over other grains hurts, changing farm practices hurt, west nile virus etc. Than there is the weather, climate change is big elephant in the room. That being said as I remember the winter of 96-97 devastated pheasants, yet a couple of years later they had come back. Forgot the other bad winters, but we were devastated a couple of other times and they came back. Than drought, can't remember the years but can remember hunting what at one time was lake bottom along the Missouri that had dried up and was than filled with birds. The issue we need to address is that even prime habitat is not producing the birds it once did. It is hard to get new hunters started or even old hunters to continue when you don't see birds. One of my college classes made us read Silent spring about DDT. Do we have something like that going on now. Yes PF could do more, but as a group of grouchy old f@#$s we maybe should do more. I'm kind embarrassed that I only give 35 to PF most years, but than again if I saw more progress maybe I would give more.