Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prairie Pounders

Default Prairie Pounders

I hunted the Kansas opener in the Northeast side of the state with not quite as much bird contact as I had hoped . The second weekend of the season I met up with MI Forester and we ran the Praires of western Neb . These pictures are from pounding the prairies of western Kansas .

How is everybody’s season shaping up so far ?

In our are we hunt I would say Quail population up considerably.Pheasants spotty down quite a bit over last couple years .

54686913-86B9-4F2E-9A30-58F24872CB82.jpeg

Here is my Britt on point on a covey lucky enough to get a double and after my britt finished picking up one of the Quail she led me on a track on a Rooster pheasant . I sure love the mix bag opportunity.

1050E970-D00E-48FD-8E44-0BC09DFD2304.jpeg
    How we ended the 1st day

VERY nice! What a great day for ou both!

Thanks Chestle , I had help my buddy not pictured I droped off 1/2 hour earlier to see if a big whitetail was going to return to his bed in this CRP patch and see if he could arrow him , no luck this time .

Skimpy pheasant-wise. Got into more quail opening. Tried north central last weekend and saw three pheasant and one covey. Slim pickings.
    - From the office of Colt, Stoeger, Browning & Savage
    - Kansas: Big Cock Country

I had a pretty lackluster day on Sunday. One covey of quail, 4 hens, 1 rooster, 2 undetermined. Only a single quail fell. I hunted by myself for about 5 hours on mostly private.

hunted majority of the day sunday on public ground north of salina and saw one covey of quail, no stronger than 5-6 birds. actually was checked by a game warden (first time in my life while upland hunting) who says this used to be good phez country 5-6 years ago but anymore these days its slim pickins...

I think maybe I will have to go southwest for Pheasants .

Quote Originally Posted by BirdGuy View Post
    hunted majority of the day sunday on public ground north of salina and saw one covey of quail, no stronger than 5-6 birds. actually was checked by a game warden (first time in my life while upland hunting) who says this used to be good phez country 5-6 years ago but anymore these days its slim pickins...
    I was out that way this past weekend and shot 2 and a couple of quail. I hunt that area a lot and will be back out this weekend. The numbers are definitely low and it takes a lot of work to get a limit. I havent seen any game wardens out this year though.

Hunted the WIHA areas around Russell, Osborne, Lincoln and Mitchell counties the week of the 18th with little success. Only saw a few birds here and there and when speaking with the few other hunters we encountered, they were seeing similar numbers. Certainly not the numbers that I was expecting for central Kansas. We did manage to find more birds once we headed further west, both pheasants and quail. Good luck to those of you heading out in Kansas later this season.

I hunted around Dodge, didn’t see a lot of birds. But found a few. No quail. I’m going again later in December, are the numbers better farther west?