Thread: Need an opinion: strap game carrier or vest in the winter?

Default Need an opinion: strap game carrier or vest in the winter?

This is sort of an odd question, but thought I would get some opinions.

Due to a disability in my right arm, I have difficulty mounting the gun, especially when I have a few layers of clothing and a jacket and a vest. Oofda! Getting the stock up and in the right spot is a challenge.

Question: those of you that have switched to the strap type game carrier, do you notice a difference in mounting the gun, especially with winter clothing gear? Easier? No difference?

Please comment on your experiences, especially with winter garb...thanks!

I use a game belt from Outdoor Connection to get the weight off my shoulders because of stenosis. Added benefit is no shoulder weight. I notice a difference on long days. I replaced the belt so as I pork out I can adjust accordingly. Nothing fancy, but pretty well made and cheap. I wore suspenders for a while, but ditched them this last trip. 5480D875-47B5-4DC7-98A4-E5D47C58F9A5.jpeg274769FA-8A04-40A5-934E-B6B39C32F772.jpeg

487 miles from home in northeast Oklahoma

One of my hunting buddy's uses a strap-type vest and loves it; then again, he shoots a lot of trap and wears a similar device at the range...so it may be more of "this is what I'm used to" than any real benefit.

Still, if you're having trouble getting your gun to shoulder correctly, I would think any reduction in clothing would be beneficial.

Helpful comments - thanks!

I like a strap vest as it seems to allow me a little more freedom to move my arms. I don't wear heavy clothing under it either as I hate getting too warm when I'm doing a lot of walking.

I take it the gun is not too long in the stock for you? There are a few little tricks you can try to make the gun come up to your shoulder a little easier.

1. This will be the easiest thing to try. If your a right handed shooter try moving your left hand back slightly on the forend as this will have the same affect as shortening your stock. If your left handed it will be the right hand. Try this at home (with an unloaded gun of course) with the clothing that you will wear hunting.

2. You may also try adding something that will make the butt pad a little slick as in clear nail polish, electricians tape or I've even read where people even used Armor All, the stuff that makes your car dash slick. If you try this be VERY careful that you DO NOT get it on the back of the pad that touches your shoulder as this will cause the pad to slip out of your shoulder pocket. Both the inside and outside edge of the pad that meets up with the wood is where you want to add the tape. The clear nail polish I would add to just the top 1" of the pad. What this does and I have tried this before is allow the pad to slide easily along your jacket and not stick as your mounting the gun. You can experiment on how much to add, start small and increase tape or nail polish till you feel an improvement.

Give these a try and see if it works for you and if not it can easily be removed.

Here is a picture of what I'm talking about.

ssBzo8k.jpg
    Last edited by birdshooter; 12-06-2019 at 12:59 PM.

Birdshooter:

Thanks for the detailed help with mounting...most appreciated.

Have been doing the electrical tape routine on the stock for a long time and it helps. The length of pull on three guns is 12.5", as short as I can make it! This due to the disability in my right arm (bone cancer). Can only raise the right arm about waist high.

Have two posts/handles on the gun to enable me to mount; one to the rear of the forend and the other behind the trigger - similar to an assault rifle. I get strange looks on the sporty range...

Winter hunting is quite challenging with gloves, coats and shell vets. Anything that will reduce the bulk can help with the mount. I do have a strap shell carrier and game bag that I plan on wearing next week in SD.

Thanks again for your comments.

No problem, didn't realize your disability was that severe. Don't worry about the strange looks, it's just human nature to look at something that you don't see everyday.

Give the strap vest a try, it can't hurt. Good luck