Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: South Eastern/MN border historically produce birds?

Well, here's my $0.02. The public land near the MN border gets absolutely hammered by MN residents. Not saying you'd have tons of competition over that last week of the year, but for the most part, those birds have either been shot, pushed out, or have been hunted so many, many, many times that the few roosters left don't play fair at all. By & large, the roosters won't be using the public land during shooting hours. 45 minutes to an hour further west could make a big difference. Yes, the birds are still really challenging, but there are so many more of them that your chances at success could improve dramatically.
    "Most pheasants in South Dakota don't react too well to #5s." -The Hunt for Red Rooster

That Mitchell area looks good. Around Aberdeen, redfield.I went to a mopar auction out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Goosemaster View Post
    That Mitchell area looks good. Around Aberdeen, redfield.I went to a mopar auction out there.
    DID THEY GIVE YOU ANYTHING FOR FREE AT THAT AUCTION—OR FOR A SIX PACK OF CHEAP BEER??

Quote Originally Posted by david0311 View Post
    DID THEY GIVE YOU ANYTHING FOR FREE AT THAT AUCTION—OR FOR A SIX PACK OF CHEAP BEER??
    I bought a cool air cleaner for 10 dollars.I think there was some free stuff.

I stay and hunt within 50 miles of Mitchell. I used to go to Platte but numbers are not that great down that way anymore. I also used to hunt 3 days but last 10 years or so I just plan on the 5 days. Then if you get a bad day you just wait it out. If I was just looking at 2 days I would probably stay home and hunt a local presurve I'm an addict I admit

Quote Originally Posted by Mrben View Post
    I stay and hunt within 50 miles of Mitchell. I used to go to Platte but numbers are not that great down that way anymore. I also used to hunt 3 days but last 10 years or so I just plan on the 5 days. Then if you get a bad day you just wait it out. If I was just looking at 2 days I would probably stay home and hunt a local presurve I'm an addict I admit
    I'm in the same boat.I usually go for several days, when I go pheasant hunting. I didn't know there was so much free hunting in South Dakota. I wonder if the Indian reservations are any Good? My dad and I hunted on a fancy, bushwa place near Dixon, that was outrageously expensive. It was in March. I put down a bunch of birds at that outfit.One heck of a cruise to get There! In Montana, we're not used to hunting tree belts, and land farmed for pheasant hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrben View Post
    I know these people named Airhart, that are from Mitchell.