Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone going to be out this weekend?

When I was a kid, we had a lab that my dad ran in some field trials. He wasn't big into it and she definitely hunted her way more than he ran her in trials. She was one of the best labs I've ever been around. Can't even imagine how many birds were shot over her.

I probably would of jumped at the same opportunity you did taking the dogs in. In my short experience with bird dogs over the past few years I have seen both scenarios. I purchased a 2 yr old GWP from amazing champion field trial lines and he had been worked on and trained in planted and preserved birds his whole life. He was an absolute crap dog on wild birds. I have him 2 seasons to see if he would turn out and he just wasn’t gonna make it with me the way I hunt. 100% wild birds 75% public land across the west. I ended up getting rid of him in October after the SD opener.

I have also had great experiences buying adult started dogs from my good friend in South Dakota. He trained and taught the dogs only on wild birds in real world hunting scenarios. These 2 are my best dogs and have fit in great to my household and kennel.

Best of luck to you this season and hopefully those 2 get it at some point. I am heading to NW Kansas next Wednesday around Colby and will probably work my back south towards Oklahoma. Hopefully we can find some birds.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasPHEZHunter View Post
    I probably would of jumped at the same opportunity you did taking the dogs in. In my short experience with bird dogs over the past few years I have seen both scenarios. I purchased a 2 yr old GWP from amazing champion field trial lines and he had been worked on and trained in planted and preserved birds his whole life. He was an absolute crap dog on wild birds. I have him 2 seasons to see if he would turn out and he just wasn’t gonna make it with me the way I hunt. 100% wild birds 75% public land across the west. I ended up getting rid of him in October after the SD opener.

I have also had great experiences buying adult started dogs from my good friend in South Dakota. He trained and taught the dogs only on wild birds in real world hunting scenarios. These 2 are my best dogs and have fit in great to my household and kennel.

Best of luck to you this season and hopefully those 2 get it at some point. I am heading to NW Kansas next Wednesday around Colby and will probably work my back south towards Oklahoma. Hopefully we can find some birds.
    You should never get rid of a dog. That karma, will come back your way.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasPHEZHunter View Post

maybe it's the way you hunt?.....and not the dog. how many days in the field before you concluded he was not for you? did you hunt him with other dogs or a pack of hunters?
    i don't think we know enough to judge here.....just somethings to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter94 View Post
    maybe it's the way you hunt?.....and not the dog. how many days in the field before you concluded he was not for you? did you hunt him with other dogs or a pack of hunters?
    i don't think we know enough to judge here.....just somethings to think about.
    Did I miss the part where he asks us to judge him?

Quote Originally Posted by Mill Creek View Post
    Did I miss the part where he asks us to judge him?
    I missed it too...

Just hunted that same area of KS, south to the border. Had satsifying opportunities everyday, some days more then others. You will find more moisture in soil the further north so that was better for the dogs. But every day were new fields and positive experiences and birds were there even in the dust when enough miles were put in. Goatheads seem worse this year so be prepared to give dogs some pad tlc

Default Anyone going to be out

Big running dogs are great for trialers and if you are young enough to run after them. I have been hunting over dogs since 1950s and trialed for a lot of years. The dogs that run to horse back etc don't generally work out for boot hunts. I have only seen 1 dog that could adapt. I give you a hand for taking those dogs on so to speak. My advice is contact a field trialer, trainer e.t.c and see if they know of a dog that didn't run big enough and you can swap. IMHO you are in for a lot of heart ache and a lot less fun hunting.
    Last edited by sas; 11-28-2019 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Misspell

Quote Originally Posted by sas View Post
    Big running dogs are great for trialers and if you are young enough to run after them. I have been hunting over dogs since 1950s and trialed for a lot of years. The dogs that run to horse back etc don't generally work out for boot hunts. I have only seen 1 dog that could adapt. I give you a hand for taking those dogs on so to speak. My advice is contact a field trailer, trainer e.t.c and see if they know of a dog that didn't run big enough and you can swap. IMHO you are in for a lot of heart ache and a lot less fun hunting.

I shall see - going to give it this season at least.

All I know is that having the Garmin changed my life - times when I thought my present dog (and before her -- her mother) had disappeared and were likely plain ignoring me - once I got the Garmin I could see that she'd be working birds more often than not and would go on point and hold it - I'm hoping since the new ones do have good breeding - like I said I get a couple of the "right" opportunities their light will go on. I think they're getting more bonded to me - they were pretty happy to see me once we got home from out of town after being gone for a day. I hadn't seen that reaction out of them yet in the time Ive had them.

My 10 yo dog worked a covey 200 yards out that was running in her and she pinned them in a shrub. I knew enough with her distance she was clearing between us that she was working birds. She's done that often enough I let her do her thing. Dogs that work 20-50 yards out all the time I wouldnt find many birds.

Quote Originally Posted by Goosemaster View Post
    You should never get rid of a dog. That karma, will come back your way.
    This is one of the stupidest things I have seen. Life is to short to not have great dogs.