Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Know how to ask.

Hey I wish SD was a $40 - $50 gift certificate pay to play state, but in reality we all know many want $100 - $150 per day ... Each !

Try do that with a couple kids. No thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by BRITTMAN View Post
    Flip side is true also. I have run into some rather ornery and down right strange farmers out there. Banjo plays in the background. There were farms that my brother refused to visit or even call during hunting season because the guy was so darn angry or odd. But I get it. Farming can be a very difficult lifestyle often with high stress, loneliness, debt, divorce, family in-fighting (often your business partners) and alcoholism to name a few.

Hunters also rarely know what prior experiences the landowner has had (recent or long ago) with other hunters. Politeness can be a two-way street.
    In Montana, people live WAY OUT IN THE BOONIES!!!!! Some of them are a little, or a lot, off kilter.Ive knocked on doors of places right out of the movie, Deliverance.

Quote Originally Posted by BRITTMAN View Post
    Hey I wish SD was a $40 - $50 gift certificate pay to play state, but in reality we all know many want $100 - $150 per day ... Each !

Try do that with a couple kids. No thank you.
    I totally agree.Thats outrageous gouging.Ive never paid to hunt
    My dad has twice, both times in South Dakota. I would pay 10 dollars to get on a good place.150 bucks!!! Hell no!! I can get excellent hunting for free, on private land.

For the life of me, I can't imagine paying to pheasant hunt in SD. Public land is so good. I've got a couple private spots there, and they're great. But I want to hunt for more than 1 hr each day.

Mallards and geese in a cornfield...that might be a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by mutthunt View Post
    For the life of me, I can't imagine paying to pheasant hunt in SD. Public land is so good. I've got a couple private spots there, and they're great. But I want to hunt for more than 1 hr each day.

Mallards and geese in a cornfield...that might be a different story.
    Oh yes, private farms that only take an hour to hunt. I have several.Sometimes good, sometimes not.Public land in montana, is not as good as South Dakota public land. I've never paid to hunt geese. I'm against paying to hunt, that is all.

Quote Originally Posted by Goosemaster View Post
    In Montana, people live WAY OUT IN THE BOONIES!!!!! Some of them are a little, or a lot, off kilter.Ive knocked on doors of places right out of the movie, Deliverance.
    I will take Montanan's any day over a blow hard D.A. The last best place D.A.....

While I am against paying $150+ per gun/day to hunt private land. SD has tremendous bird populations on public land that are good enough for 1-3 man limits nearly every day. I am not against building connections over time and paying them back in some form, as you slowly accumulate private land for you to hunt. Every few trips I seem to make another connection for a small piece of private land, usually nothing more than a small tree line, slough, etc. that doesn't take long to hunt. Something to add to the hunting if you are on a slow day or near the area on public land. While the landowners are not charging, I think that is where the small contribution of a gift card, homemade canned good, purchasing something from them if they own a little store or sell some type of good or product, etc. is appropriate. There's a difference between you paying them for them to make revenue, or you giving them a small token of appreciation.

And that said, there is nothing wrong with the people who charge big money to hunt their land. They own the land, they pay taxes on the land, they maintain the land. All of that takes time, effort, and money on their behalf. If I were to pay that much to hunt, I would just expect them to have enough land for me to hunt an entire day and a realistic chance at seeing birds if I do my part and shoot straight with good dog work.

Quote Originally Posted by jackrabbit View Post
    While I am against paying $150+ per gun/day to hunt private land. SD has tremendous bird populations on public land that are good enough for 1-3 man limits nearly every day. I am not against building connections over time and paying them back in some form, as you slowly accumulate private land for you to hunt. Every few trips I seem to make another connection for a small piece of private land, usually nothing more than a small tree line, slough, etc. that doesn't take long to hunt. Something to add to the hunting if you are on a slow day or near the area on public land. While the landowners are not charging, I think that is where the small contribution of a gift card, homemade canned good, purchasing something from them if they own a little store or sell some type of good or product, etc. is appropriate. There's a difference between you paying them for them to make revenue, or you giving them a small token of appreciation.

And that said, there is nothing wrong with the people who charge big money to hunt their land. They own the land, they pay taxes on the land, they maintain the land. All of that takes time, effort, and money on their behalf. If I were to pay that much to hunt, I would just expect them to have enough land for me to hunt an entire day and a realistic chance at seeing birds if I do my part and shoot straight with good dog work.
    good points, i agree.

[QUOTE=hunter94;254075]good points, i agree.[/QUOT. Yes, a 6 pack of pbr, or something like that.I do, unlike you, have a problem with pay hunting.You don't realize that all hunting will be pay hunting, in the future.Thumbs down!

Quote Originally Posted by Goosemaster View Post
    You don't realize that all hunting will be pay hunting, in the future.Thumbs down!
    Agree and disagree. Groups like Pheasants Forever are doing a tremendous job of purchasing land, restoring it to a habitat suitable for wildlife, then gifting it over to a state or federal agency. Across much of the pheasant region, there is more and more public land each year than the previous year. Each individual can do their small part by simply being a PF member. They are lobbying for all of us that don't have much of a voice, whether it is turning land public, fighting for state money to be spent on conservation, or getting in politicians ears in DC about things like CRP acres in the farm bill.

But yes, if bird numbers continue to decline, then it will be pay to play hunting. Probably on released birds. We can all do our part to help create or donate to habitat to prevent that from happening.