Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cold weather safety/warm dog vest question.

I have always hunted with a vest on my dogs, mainly for protection. The one problem that I have seen is when hunting in snow. The snow will pack inside the vest then the dog's body heat melts the snow causing the dog to get wet. As long as the dog is moving it's usually not a problem but it you stop take the vest off, clean out the snow and dry the dog off.

My current Brittany is very thin haired and last year while hunting in the cold and snow she shut down on two different occasions. Found she had Hypoglycemia. She expended so much energy hunting and also trying to stay warm that she became Hypoglyemic. Can be a bad situation. I normally feed once a day in the evening but when I'm hunting her in cold and wet conditions I give her some kibble in the morning and take a peanut butter and honey sandwich along to give her during the hunt. You can also give some Karo syrup or just honey. Just another thing to be aware of with your dog.
    Janee's August Breeze - Bree
    7/6/2016
    http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigr...&generations=5

Godfather's Dakota Elle - Elle
    1X NSTRA Champion
    11/16/2008 - 11/22/2016
    http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigr...&generations=5

Thatís good advice about the snow, Iíll keep an eye out. If its anything below 45-50* she shivers, she was designed for the arid warmer weather reign of southern France ( if I got my geography correct ) sheís a braque díauvergne, kinda looks like a smaller GSP or should I say GSPís looks like a large braque ( inset region name ).
    Last edited by padave; 12-02-2019 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by Dakotazeb View Post
    I have always hunted with a vest on my dogs, mainly for protection. The one problem that I have seen is when hunting in snow. The snow will pack inside the vest then the dog's body heat melts the snow causing the dog to get wet. As long as the dog is moving it's usually not a problem but it you stop take the vest off, clean out the snow and dry the dog off.

My current Brittany is very thin haired and last year while hunting in the cold and snow she shut down on two different occasions. Found she had Hypoglycemia. She expended so much energy hunting and also trying to stay warm that she became Hypoglyemic. Can be a bad situation. I normally feed once a day in the evening but when I'm hunting her in cold and wet conditions I give her some kibble in the morning and take a peanut butter and honey sandwich along to give her during the hunt. You can also give some Karo syrup or just honey. Just another thing to be aware of with your dog.
    That is a good point.I hunt in snow a lot, also cold, wind, ECT. I'm going to start cleaning snow out of the vest, but mine is tight fitting.Its called a duck commander, it's made by Browning. I've had it for 15 years.Its been a great vest.