Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How’d everyone do?

Default How’d everyone do?

How’d everyone fair opening weekend? I didn’t make it out, too warm for me and the dog.

Curious as well.
    My GSP was still healing from getting neutered so I wasn't too anxious. I'll take him and his big brother (lab) out this weekend and see what we can find.

Was a little warm but once we figured out where they were hiding, we were able to get into the birds. Saw around 35-40 in total between Sunday and Monday. 80% were hens which is good for next season but either way was great to see a good pheasant population.

Saw around 20-25 roosters but they were flushing early with the warm weather. Bagged a young one and missed a couple easy ones. Exciting to see the numbers up!

We went on Monday when the air temperature was 7 degrees at 7 am. The public field we hit early revealed 3 hens and a sharpie. Our next field was private, and we worked it hard. Unfortunately, the 12 birds that flushed were all hens. The next private field had 10 roosters, and we took 3. The last public field looked amazing. We quickly found 3 freshly cleaned bird carcasses as we started to walk so we knew our chances were slim.

I am hopeful that this season will be a good one.

The video.

https://youtu.be/JBX6XhZ9Oho

Cool video as usual.
    I noticed your dog didn't have and booties on. How were the thorns/ goat-heads/ stickers?

Quote Originally Posted by BruteForce View Post
    Cool video as usual.
    I noticed your dog didn't have and booties on. How were the thorns/ goat-heads/ stickers?
    Thank you for watching. Appreciate it. Early in the day, Echo hit goat heads....three times. It was bad. I should have booted her. Today, we hit sand burrs real bad. I may boot her tomorrow. A friend (landowner) told me that the same burrs are bad this year.

Was out yesterday. Saw lots of quail. Managed to get one. Also shot one rooster. Bird numbers seemed pretty good. Started to get pretty warm plus the Burrs made it a short day.

Made it to Baca county opening day and Yuma mid week. Both trips were worth the drive. Bird numbers seem pretty good, although they are definitely wise already. Gotta be smart with how you hunt them and be willing to put in the boot leather. If you can find friends blockers definitely help.

When I block I try to hide in the weeds at the end. When buddies were out and visible they were peaking out and running back 50 yards before flushing between. When I stay hidden quiet and still I was often hearing them coming and both me and the bird would panic when they walked into view 3 feet away. And yes, I mean I missed a few of those chances: )

Saturday was mainly a scouting trip for us. Bumped one rooster out of reach and had a few hens hold fairly tight for some doggy practice. Lots of hunters and lots of standing crop lead to a fairly short day, especially after the wind started gusting pretty hard.

Thanks for the heads up on the stickers Walk213. Surprisingly we managed without throwing the booties on the dogs. Unheard of this early in the season.

Brute
    Last edited by BruteForce; 11-18-2019 at 02:27 PM.