Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How was it?

Default How was it?

6 guys. 4 dogs. Daylight to almost dark. All WIHA where we’ve shot limits in years past, 2 pheasants and 3 quail. Talked to two different farmers that said the numbers are just terrible. One said a month ago he was combining milo and was seeing birds a bit bigger than a quail. 81 degrees wasn’t good for the dogs either. Some strategic pond swimming helped that.

hot
    we came out yesterday to scout out the LO farm, saw a lot of birds, 30-40 in one group, mostly roosters.
    This morning, at sunrise, we stepped into the grass, 1/2 mile away we watched a few bunches of bird get up and fly into the milo, which we did not have permission on.( about 50-70 birds in all)

Over all, where we hunt at, bird numbers are way up from last season. If the weather had stayed cool, we think we would of had a hay day.
    Wind is going to change tonight blow from the NE. maybe the will move back into the grass tomorrow.
    Hope everyone had fun today, remember, it's not about how many.

Quote Originally Posted by cheesy View Post
    6 guys. 4 dogs. Daylight to almost dark. All WIHA where we’ve shot limits in years past, 2 pheasants and 3 quail. Talked to two different farmers that said the numbers are just terrible. One said a month ago he was combining milo and was seeing birds a bit bigger than a quail. 81 degrees wasn’t good for the dogs either. Some strategic pond swimming helped that.
    I had a similar experience. Hit ALL of my honey holes, both private and public. Walked 7.5 miles today and walked some of the best cover ever. Fallow milo fields, fallow wheat fields, CRP, you name it. 1 small covey of 10 quail and 1 hen pheasant. Dismal numbers.... Last year at these spots I had 6-8 coveys I could reliably get into and probably 15-20 phez. This year, nadda....
    -Mark

I had a wedding to attend so I didnÂ’t make it out, but a buddy and a couple of his family members shot a limit of roosters this morning, reported good bird numbers in his AO.
    Last edited by Kansan; 11-09-2019 at 08:48 PM.

HOT!

Really pleased with numbers we saw. Definitely better than last two years. Landowner agreed that it was up in area. We did okay considering the conditions. Pretty sure it was the hottest temps I’ve hunted in. Will give it till noonish tomorrow then head back East. Heard a lot of shooting early.

Still not anywhere near say 2005 good but it was good enough for us to have a good time. We found birds on most spots.
    Last edited by akp; 11-09-2019 at 08:37 PM.

I am at home cutting beans, but 3 friends had a limit of roosters this morning before it got hot. All young birds, and a couple still had pin feathers. They also got a big rattlesnake. On another note, I saw more quail hunters here at home than I have in a long time. I don't know how they did, but I did hear quite a bit of shooting this morning while servicing the machines.
    Last edited by fsentkilr; 11-09-2019 at 09:23 PM.

Pleasantly surprised by the pheasants in the area I hunted, which is not a pheasant hot spot (anymore). Saw a lot of chickens. Quail were hard to get on, especially as the day got hotter.

Hunted with in an hour of Topeka an me and the Britts moved 4 coveys shooting was sub - Par , I had a legitimate chance at a limit but that didn’t happen . Saw no Pheasants

Opening weekend 2019.jpgWe ran out for a quick evening walk. We each shot one. I'd call it success.

I would say so. Great pic.