Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: How was it?

Scenting conditions are on par with most years out here. Maybe a little better than most years. Still many draws holding moisture. It's western Kansas, it is supposed to be dry. 3 inches of snow tonite might help those dogs with clogged sinuses.

Hey guys--We have a group of four (with 6 dogs in tow) making our first trip to Kansas in January. After 7 years in SD we're looking for new adventure. The key attraction was ending our season here in MN and continuing on in KS. After a fair amount of research we settled on the Lucas area mostly because it was hard finding a house to rent via Airbnb that would allow dogs further west. We've shot A LOT of pheasants over the years but never a quail so I'd be just as happy if we got into some covey's but primarly hunting roosters. Appears we need to be mobile and not get bogged down in one spot. Reading these threads give me mixed emotions. Overall do you feel it will be worth the 11 hours drive? I've set this trip up for my son and two buddies so I feel a certain pressure for at least marginal success. Appreciate any comments..

I usually hunt South Dakota, but this year decided to try Kansas. The hard part was not knowing where to go. After years of going to South Dakota I know the area and where the birds might be. Based on my 5 days out there I would say it is worth the trip. The roosters are pretty smart and I think they have been hunted a bit. I can’t say enough about the quail. I’ve never really hunted wild quail and it was a blast. Coveys of 10-15 birds were common. I would go back just for the quail.
    Ohiouplandhunting.com

Quote Originally Posted by Byrdoglvr View Post
    Hey guys--We have a group of four (with 6 dogs in tow) making our first trip to Kansas in January. After 7 years in SD we're looking for new adventure. The key attraction was ending our season here in MN and continuing on in KS. After a fair amount of research we settled on the Lucas area mostly because it was hard finding a house to rent via Airbnb that would allow dogs further west. We've shot A LOT of pheasants over the years but never a quail so I'd be just as happy if we got into some covey's but primarly hunting roosters. Appears we need to be mobile and not get bogged down in one spot. Reading these threads give me mixed emotions. Overall do you feel it will be worth the 11 hours drive? I've set this trip up for my son and two buddies so I feel a certain pressure for at least marginal success. Appreciate any comments..
    Scott,

I sent u a private message.

Gary

Not seeing very many birds at all but when I do I have been making it count. Only missed one bird so far this year, and I pulled feathers on him. Shot this triple today, second triple of the season.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Great photo, congrats on the fine shooting!

Just got back from my annual hunt in Norton and Decatur counties on a private farm. I have been going to the same place for over 15 years and this year was by far the worst. Very few birds and even fewer quail. I have a feeling the quail numbers are due to the massive hail storm. The habitat and conditions were excellent. A bit too warm for my taste on the last couple days.