Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Making of a Pheasant Dog

Glad that paw injury healed up on Bree. That was nasty looking. She has a great personality. I know she leaned on your 401k pretty hard a while back but it was worth every penny. Miya overruns her nose too. I’ve held her closer than I should have just to get the shot, but now I let her run a little. I figure it’s the only way she’ll learn. I get a lot of close shots tho, even when she’s too aggressive. I’ll be out on the 19th in the house if you feel like hunting. Glad you’re shooting your A5 well. They are a nice gun. It will be nice to hunt some firm ground with more corn out. I bet the drying costs are taking every bit of profit out of the crop. What a year for them. All the time, work, and wear and tear on the machinery, and nothing to show for it. Gonna be hard on everybody out there. Gotta hope for a decent spring and better weather.

I am going through the same thing, My 11 year old lab "Lexie" has been nothing but a rockstar since she was 6 months old. Doing anything and everything better than I could have ever expected! Now my almost 4 year old lab "Gracie" is finally coming around and showing a lot of promise this year. I know a lot of it is my fault for not putting in the time with her while she was younger like I did with lexie but she is really coming around now that I have started to hunt her alone and leave lexie either in the truck or at home on some hunts. Fingers crossed this year she takes a huge step forward and next year is the start of her prime!

You take a pure bred bird dog, and put them out there in bird country all the time.No training needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Goosemaster View Post
    You take a pure bred bird dog, and put them out there in bird country all the time.No training needed.
    I don't think that is entirely true, there are things that training helps with a lot. Marking for one, quarting back and forth is another. Don't get me wrong, there is plenty a bird dog will learn on their own but there is also a lot that can be taught and enforced when not in the field that will help when you are hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by waterdog09 View Post
    I don't think that is entirely true, there are things that training helps with a lot. Marking for one, quarting back and forth is another. Don't get me wrong, there is plenty a bird dog will learn on their own but there is also a lot that can be taught and enforced when not in the field that will help when you are hunting.
    I agree, I throw a retriever with a wing attatched when they are puppies.I hunt a lot, so that makes a huge difference with a dog.