Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should I buy hip boots for my December trip this year?

Default Should I buy hip boots for my December trip this year?

With all the ware, should I consider hip boots? If so, what do y'all recommend? They have to be tough enough for cattails and brush but comfortable do all day walks.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by irish1 View Post
    With all the ware, should I consider hip boots? If so, what do y'all recommend? They have to be tough enough for cattails and brush but comfortable do all day walks.
    Thanks.
    Unlikely to be much liquid water in December.

All the 'bring your ark' hype this year is way overblown. Yes - the water table is high, and a few roads are still flooded, but there is plenty of dry ground to hunt. Have been out there two trips and not gotten water above my boots.

You don't need an ark, but let's not underblow the amount of water in this state. The eastern 1/2 of the state is incredibly wet. NOBODY recalls seeing this much before. Yes, there's plenty of dry ground to hunt, but there's soggy ground all over the place. Not so much you probably need hip boots to hunt in, but enough that you want to avoid or hunt around every single low spot. I'd recommend a good 10" boot (minimum) since you can't avoid it all. And I don't wear them, but there's been tons of conversation this year about muck boots. The problem in quite a few areas is that there's water preventing you from getting TO the dry ground. I've never hunted in hip boots & don't ever want to. But for brief trudges TO a place to hunt (carrying my comfy hunting boots across the water), I throw in my chest waders. Why limit myself to 2' of water when I could wade through 4'? For thoughts on whether it'll be frozen in December, see the "Water Freezing???" topic. I've gotten plenty of wet feet in December. In fact MOST of my wet feet come in December & not from snow. From breaking through ice in sloughs. And I'm not that big a guy. That said, in December I'd expect most low spots (not sloughs) to be hard enough to cross.
    Last edited by A5 Sweet 16; 11-06-2019 at 05:56 PM.
    "Most pheasants in South Dakota don't react too well to #5s." -The Hunt for Red Rooster

I am here now in Miller, i have worn my lacrosse 16 inch lacrosse deer boots and been ok. I still have to be choosey where i cross and walk. The dams are tough this year to hunt around and to be honest they are not producing very well either. Bird numbers as of now are tough but we are still dealing with a lot of standing corn.

Yes, it's wet but you don't need hip boots. If you are concerned about walking in water a good pair of tall Muck type boots would be sufficient.
    Janee's August Breeze - Bree
    7/6/2016
    http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigr...&generations=5

Godfather's Dakota Elle - Elle
    1X NSTRA Champion
    11/16/2008 - 11/22/2016
    http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigr...&generations=5

Went in to my knees the other day. That was cold. Had to run back to the house to change.

i would bring chest waders....seriously we had to use them on the 5 birds we dropped on frozenish cattail sloughs. dogs were busting through 1/4” ice. and getting cut to heck on it. we had come from nodak duck hunting trip and had our waders in the trailer. we marked each bird and came back and found all but 1 of them. im guessing everything will be well frozen
    by then, but it could warm
    up and thaw some too. never know...the 10 day forecast looks really good for making ice

487 miles from home in northeast Oklahoma

I heard about these "reusable waders" from Hodgman on a PF podcast. They're NOT something you're going to wear all day, but might be something a guy could use in a pinch and in a hurry.

For $20, I'm going to try them. There's a couple places I hunt where these might come in useful.

http://www.hodgman.com/hodgman-wader...r/1347865.html

Quote Originally Posted by Vammy View Post
    I heard about these "reusable waders" from Hodgman on a PF podcast. They're NOT something you're going to wear all day, but might be something a guy could use in a pinch and in a hurry.

For $20, I'm going to try them. There's a couple places I hunt where these might come in useful.

http://www.hodgman.com/hodgman-wader...r/1347865.html
    Boy am I confused by these!! I'm sure there's no way you're going to get them over your hunting boots; plus it'd wear out the feet if you did. And if you put your boots on OVER the waders, now your boots are wet. And 25mm?? Presumably that's a typo; supposed to be 0.25mm?? Something tells me these are meant to be used w/ wading shoes (or something you don't mind getting wet).
    Last edited by A5 Sweet 16; 11-12-2019 at 12:43 PM.
    "Most pheasants in South Dakota don't react too well to #5s." -The Hunt for Red Rooster

I didn't have them and my hunting buddy did; he had the Hodgman's hip waders. I wished I had them on more than a few occasions. I actually bought a pair of the Lacrosse knee-highs on the way back from my hunt just so I have them next time.

It's a good idea to at least have them. If not this time, maybe you'll need them another time!