Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How are the pheasant numbers this year in the SW

Default How are the pheasant numbers this year in the SW

Thinking of coming to Nebraska this week before Kansas opens. I havenít been since 2017 and had a great time. How are the numbers this year?

Quote Originally Posted by vrepola View Post
    Thinking of coming to Nebraska this week before Kansas opens. I haven’t been since 2017 and had a great time. How are the numbers this year?

terrible.....average hunter take on opening weekend was .40 bird per day, per hunter. save your money.

I can’t believe Kansas will be much better. Pheasants are way down in every state in the pheasant belt so far. Kansas is the last domino to fall.

Kinda what I figured. I donít care about the money lol. Iím sure I will still leave tomorrow night and hunt until Friday morning. Then head to my favorite area of Kansas until Tuesday or so. Itís an obsession that I canít control 😂.

Quote Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
    I canít believe Kansas will be much better. Pheasants are way down in every state in the pheasant belt so far. Kansas is the last domino to fall.
    i am hoping there will be some decent areas with a few birds....it didn't rainout everywhere, always seems to be a few spots with birds, but will probably need to walk a lot to find them.
    i am more concerned with the standing crops still out there....can't get a good feel for bird population until harvest is more complete.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter94 View Post
    terrible.....average hunter take on opening weekend was .40 bird per day, per hunter. save your money.
    And we did worse than that last weekend. Skunked on Saturday, but killed a few on Sunday. It was our first time in the area though. Despite the poor results we'll probably go back. The dogs need a couple of warm up days before the Kansas opener.

Opening weekend was good to us. We saw a lot of birds and were finished early. Last weekend was so so. We headed East around McCook. We did run into some birds but it was few and far between. Plus with the temps in the mid 55’s the birds seemed spread out. Sunday was very uneventful. Flushed 4 hens and a lone far off rooster. I think the bird numbers are there we just need some cold weather to bunch them up.
    "When I am not hunting I am thinking about hunting. Hunting is on my mind because it is in my blood."
    -- Jim Shockey

Definately think the population is down, still alot of corn standing so sometimes hard to tell. Ran into a couple groups of guys saturday pm that had not fired a shot!! Wouldn't travel to SW Nebraska and expect to see alot of birds.

Well I went anyway. 2 days 5 birds in the bag. Thursday found decent numbers and limited very early. Today two birds by 8am then birds got very wild. There are birds in small pockets. Numbers are down for sure compared to previous years. Not bad for one guy

Quote Originally Posted by vrepola View Post
    Well I went anyway. 2 days 5 birds in the bag. Thursday found decent numbers and limited very early. Today two birds by 8am then birds got very wild. There are birds in small pockets. Numbers are down for sure compared to previous years. Not bad for one guy
    you did very well, hunting on your own.....congrats!