Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: roll call

Default roll call

Where is everyone going for the opener? We are heading to Dodge City, for the 38th year in a row.
    Have been hunting the same piece of land for 37 years. Have had bad years, and good years, this is the smallest group that we have had in several years. Just mostly us older farts, with a couple of 30 year olds.
    supposed to be a late hatch this year, we will see, just like seeing the different landscape for a couple days.
    Windmills from hell lol

Good Luck and safe travels, and if your in Dodge, and see Crawford Co plates, honk !

Just got a call from my farmer/ hunting buddy. I have to decide now whether or not to go. He is done with harvesting and saw very few birds. He thinks the hail this summer got them.

Will be in Kiowa and Edwards county with my dad and son and a friend and his son and my two shorthairs. Ol Buddy is almost 13 and will I enjoy every minute I get to spend with him this season. Hes been a dandy. Have fun, shoot straight, and be safe everyone!
    Last edited by akp; 11-04-2019 at 08:49 PM.

I've sat out the opener for a few years - too much stress and competition to hunt WIHA and public opening day and too many RUDE people hunting the same places.

We lost our private land contacts for private a few years ago - the little private I have access too I normally never ask until Dec or January.

So my season really starts end of November or sometimes December on. Farmers seem more approachable after rifle deer season is over -- I'm guessing they just think I'm crazy to be out that time of year so they feel sorry for me....ha!

I’ll be in SW. I have pretty low expectations, as the entire pheasant belt is down, and Kansas opener is always the worst hunt I have there all season. Down is the new normal for pheasants, and I don’t think it will get any better. I’ll hunt them til their gone, and I’ll hunt KS til the residents ban out of staters.

We are going to hunt Rooks and Graham counties. Birds were pretty decent last year with most of the Milo still up. Looking forward to being able to hunt for 5 days with good friends good dogs and beautiful country.

Our small group will be battling the crowds. We always seem to get some. Hopefully we do this year.

Our group is a little smaller this year too. It will be 8-9 people. We'll hunt a mix of WIHA and private in SW Kansas. I'm pursuing a few more private connections, maybe they'll work out, maybe not. Later in the season with smaller groups is usually better, but the social side of opening weekend is enjoyable.

Hows the warm weather on Saturday going to affect everything? Planning on hitting north central. Dont know about the numbers but will have fun regardless

Myself and four other hunting buddies will be in the SW for the opener. Hunting mostly private but will hit some WIHA early. Good luck to all of you, have fun and be safe.
    "God help me, I do love it so!!" -General Patton