Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Report

Quote Originally Posted by Mill Creek View Post
    So you're running a britt, a lab, and is that a wirehair? Nice dogs, and they look young. Variety is spice of life. I enjoy your reports and pics.
    Thanks MC.

My Lab is two. FrBrit is three and Wirehair is thirteen (acts like he's three but I see his age this year). I'm covered for all types of cover and fields.

I'm fortunate to be able to hunt pheasants for 30 days each season in SD. I hear from hunters (and Farmers) that bird numbers are low but in reality numbers are good. It's just knowing where and how to find them. We are seeing lots of birds right now along the roads but they dash to the corn when they see vehicles or hunters.

Quote Originally Posted by dukxdog View Post
    Crops are standing...BIRDS ARE IN THE CORN. It's not that the numbers are down. I've been killing birds every day for the past ten. I don't miss very often so it's not like i'm getting ten shot opportunities but most days I've put three in my vest. I think numbers are pretty good and will look better as crops are harvested.

Hey, I know that one place. HA!! Keep up the reports. The hunting is only going to get better as the cover keeps dwindling and concentrating the birds.

Spent a few weekends hunting near Chamberlain and Mitchell, now finally found a decent number within 30 mins of Sioux Falls. Hunting all public. My Golden got her first ever retrieve today.
    IMG_20191109_1425301.jpg

Nice looking Golden and bird! Very cool!

Those are some great pics, and beautiful dogs, thank you for that.I cant make a SD trip, but here are a few Montana pics:20191106_150327.jpg

Nice looking Golden and bird! Very cool!
    Thanks! She has been a ton of fun to work with. And now that we have found some birds closer to home (and some drier fields) we can get out a bit more.

Maybe you would tell us a bit about your Golden - breeder, training et al.

Thanks!

Roosters in sagebrush are fun. Looks like your dog is a winner GM!

Roosters in sagebrush are fun. Looks like your dog is a winner GM!
    Yes, she is 6 now, abd she has always handed me the bird.I did not train her to do that, she jyst always has. She will get in cattails, but I try ti keep her out as much as posible, it's hard on them.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyB View Post
    Maybe you would tell us a bit about your Golden - breeder, training et al.

Thanks!
    She's about 10 months old, and comes from DeWayne Peterson near Bristol, SD. Her parents were not hunters, just family dogs. Although obviously she is of the "field line" type of golden. We saw a local ad for Golden puppies and the timeline and cost worked out so we got her, even though she doesn't have the most impressive pedigree. She has taken to hunting and retrieving really well. I have trained her using Richard Wolters books, and I have been really happy. She won't win any hunting competitions, but she's a great family dog and she fetches and listens really well. She has been really enjoying hunting and, now that she has her first retrieve, hopefully she will continue to improve. It's our first Golden, and so far we have been really happy with how loving and fun she is. We figured that we would have a great family dog and a decent walking partner for me while I hunt, and anything more than that is a bonus