Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best lead shell for 12 ga. on wild pheasants

I've had very good results with the 2 & 3/4" B & P Upland Game nickel-plated 5's, 1 & 1/2 oz, 1325 fps. It's a premium shell, but not outrageously priced at $16 a box from Natchez.

Last year I tried the 2 & 3/4" Winchester Rooster XR, 1 & 1/4 oz of 4's at 1300 fps. The results with this shell were great, it's the best long-range shell out there, IMO. (very pricy though, about $22 dollars for a box of 15)

I haven't tried the Browning BXD Upland in 12 gauge yet, but I've had great results with the 16 gauge BXD shells, so my guess is they're good in 12 ga too. (made by Winchester)

Quote Originally Posted by mgorvi View Post
    Iíve been shooting 4s more and more in IC, but mostly in LM. Seems to produce fewer cripples for me. When I shoot my 20ga Cynergy I shoot 5s IC in the bottom and 4s LM in the top. Federals in the 20ga and fooling around with Rooster XR in the 12ga. this season. Also using Kent Bismuth Waterfowl in both 12&20 in WPAS, but thatís off topic.
    That stuff is expensive@!$$

I agree.Shoot #4 lead, with IC.I'm going to try , FULL, with lead #4, next hunt.

Since you asked for opinions I will give mine. For Phez I like a load size of at least 1-1/4 oz filled with #5 shot or 1-3/8 of #4 if it's windy or late season birds are not holding. The reason I like the 1-3/8 of #4 is to compensate for fewer pellet count that a #4 offers.

I like a speed of 1250 - 1330 fps if I can find it. Marketing would have you believe speed kills and that higher velocity than that kills better, but Tom Roster (shotshell ballistics expert) says it's unneeded and generally doesn't pattern as well as the more moderate speeds.

https://www.shotgunlife.com/shotguns...peed-kill.html

Excerpt:

The answer is that with balls the greater the velocity at which a ball is initially launched, the greater the rate at which it loses velocity. This is due to the poor aerodynamic shape of balls. The net effect of increasing the initial launch velocity of balls is that greater air resistance is created ahead of them. They are forced, therefore, to slow down more rapidly than balls launched at slower initial velocities. Since shotshell pellets are largely ball-shaped, this inescapable law of physics hugely inhibits the value of high velocity for shotshell loads.

If you doubt this irrefutable law of physics, simply consult any downrange ballistics table for any shot type – lead, steel, bismuth, whatever. You will see that any increase in velocity and retained energy which exists at the muzzle between a faster launched ball versus a slower one degenerates exponentially over distance. For example, at 60 yards the majority of the differential enjoyed by the faster-launched ball at the muzzle will be virtually gone.
    Last edited by birdshooter; 10-31-2019 at 12:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Goosemaster View Post
    That stuff is expensive@!$$
    Ya most likely not worth it. Just enjoy trying different loads. Seems like any decent shell delivered in front of the bird will do the job. My limit is 40 yards anyway. Beyond that I’m throwing rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by mgorvi View Post
    Ya most likely not worth it. Just enjoy trying different loads. Seems like any decent shell delivered in front of the bird will do the job. My limit is 40 yards anyway. Beyond that I’m throwing rocks.
    I usually can find high brass for 8 dollars a box.I did spend 22 on a box of 3 inch remington steel water foul loads #2 that were great with IC, 12 GUAUGE 870 express camo.339 out of the box at wal mart.Great gun, took me a few years to shoot it well.Great turkey gun, and goose.I use an extra full on turkey.Pheasant is always IC on alk my remingtons.

I used the Hevishot Mid Range choke in my Beretta while pheasant
    hunting in Kansas. I use the same choke in my waterfowl A400 for
    decoying ducks. I love the Hevishot chokes as well as the ammo

Quote Originally Posted by theuplandlife View Post
    You no shootin son of a bitch what do you need with that fancy non tox.

Quote Originally Posted by roadscholar View Post
    Last year I tried the 2 & 3/4" Winchester Rooster XR, 1 & 1/4 oz of 4's at 1300 fps. The results with this shell were great, it's the best long-range shell out there, IMO. (made by Winchester)
    Not even close Winchester 12ga 3inch Mag 1 7/8oz of 4 shot buffered copper plated is the Second best shotgun shell ever made and for long range was the best value for shooting out to 55 yards.
    Last edited by 1100 Remington Man; 11-14-2019 at 09:23 PM. Reason: Update

Quote Originally Posted by theuplandlife View Post
    Yeah, but that stuff is SPENDY!!