Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best lead shell for 12 ga. on wild pheasants

Default Best lead shell for 12 ga. on wild pheasants

Opinions on brands, shell speed, weight, etc.

whatever is on sale!

My personal preference is Fiocchi High Velocity (I avoid Golden Pheasant like the plague because it doesn't pattern worth a crap in my gun & doesn't kill for me).
    But enough guys like all the other stuff that I'm quite certain it's good too....in their guns.
    In a 12 ga., I see no reason to go more or less than 1-1/4 oz., as long as both you & your gun are physically able to handle it.
    Stick with velocities 1330 fps +/- 50. Guns are just more likely to not pattern the faster stuff well, & with lead, you just don't need speed. 1275-1350 is plenty.
    #5 shot is the overall best performer. But if you have to go slower (like 1200-1250) for some strange reason, I'd consider 4's. If you don't plan to shoot past 35 yards, shoot 6's.
    Plated shot & buffered loads?? Take or leave. Sometimes those things help patterns. Sometimes not so much.
    Modified choke as rule of thumb. Adjust as you see fit. There's no substitute for patterning your gun/choke/load.
    That said, if you stumble onto something that works well & haven't patterned your gun, keep using it & NEVER pattern that gun/choke/load. Be content & confident that it kills.
    My $0.02.
    "Most pheasants in South Dakota don't react too well to #5s." -The Hunt for Red Rooster

Quote Originally Posted by BirdGuy View Post
    whatever is on sale!
    Yep.No need to spend money on expensive amo, as long as it's high brass, 1 1/4 oz. 4 shot empire.

Quote Originally Posted by Goosemaster View Post
    Yep.No need to spend money on expensive amo, as long as it's high brass, 1 1/4 oz. 4 shot empire.
    Ammo is not created equally. Some burns cleaner and patterns better than others. Some cheap loads like to jam in certain guns. I like Kent Fast Lead but recently have been shooting the Browning BXD Upland loads. The best advice I ever got was about 40 years ago, when someone told me to shoot the most expensive shell you can buy. You owe that to the game you pursue.

You go ahead and spend 50 dollars a box.I'll spend 7, and let's see who wins.

I will every time and so will my dogs!

Have you patterned different loads through your gun? I have done a very limited amount of it. However I have seen other folks data of different loads at the patterning plate and they can vary alot.

I don't shoot expensive amo, but certain guns, are more effective , with certain shells.For example, my 870, with ic, is most effective with remington express, #4 shot.My 1187, with ic, shoots best with federal, high power #5 shot.In my very old A5, I shoot federal #4 high power.These are all 12 gauge guns, with 26, 28, and 30 inch barrels.It takes 100's of rounds to learn gun, choke, load combinations.

I wish I had the ability to pattern my gun. Right now there's no place I can do it. I would say the vast majority of hunters and clay shooters do not pattern their rigs. If I had land I would definitely do it though. I figure a recommendation from someone who has had good results with a load is better than just going in blind. My trap club has a pattern board and I have used that, but they do not allow the shooting of game loads at the place. It is inside city limits but thankfully has been grandfathered in even though people are always trying to shut it down!