Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Reports

Default 2019 Reports

Thought I would start a 2019 report thread.

So far this season has been a struggle. Ive seen birds in every spot, but the shot opportunities have been very slim for verious reasons. Of course the hens have been flushing close. 18 miles logged so far.

Also does anyone on here own a teal Ford Taurus hatchback? I see it in the areas I hunt for a few years now and ran across it a little further west than I normally see it. Just curious on how the season is going for you. I don't know anyone that hunts the area and wanted to see how the season is treating you.

Hope everyone has a safe and bountiful season.
    Last edited by Flush em up; 10-27-2019 at 06:53 PM.

Hunting in Minnesota for my first season.

Been out 7 times. We have experienced 30 flushes and bagged 8 roosters. Myself and the people that I hunted with.

I went out yesterday for the last two hours. Flushed 3 hens and 1 rooster. The rooster flushed about 50 yards a head so no shot, even the hens were fairly spooky.

Overall this season, I have been out 3 times hunted a total of maybe 10 hours total and have flushed 10-15 birds, only bagged 1 rooster though, my shooting was very poor opening weekend. I am very happy with how the season has started. I feel that I am finally figuring out MN pheasants I have only been hunting here for 3 years and it seems like the miles driving and walking are finally paying off. Looking forward to the rest of the year.

I've been out 4 times, had 3 roosters flush in range. I missed two and the 3rd one I didn't shoot at because I thought it was a hen at first but the bird cackled so maybe a small rooster? A buddy invited me grouse hunting last weekend so I did that instead of going with my uncle on his property. He went out at 5pm and was back home by 530 with his two roosters. Wish I could have went with him that evening!

Hey Bob Peters,

How was the grouse hunting? I went for grouse on pheasant opener, that nasty weekend, we managed one grouse and a few woodcock. Due to many late nesters, many of the roosters are just getting their colors...I've seen many young birds so far this season. I PM'd you.....getting to the fun time to the year for pheasants! Crops were coming out last weekend where I was.

Good Luck to All and BE SAFE!

The hunting will improve as the season goes on. Not much corn harvested yet - they're still working on beans. Last year I harvested 29 roosters between Thanksgiving and New Years and the population is up 13% from that according to the road side count in my area. Come December there won't be any place to hide and the bag limit will be 3 instead of 2.

Been out 7 times. Got 11 birds myself so far. Pretty darn happy with the numbers I have been seeing. Crops out will make a big difference.

anyone been out lately? I was out for a bit Saturday and Sunday. Both beautiful days although I am always really cautious this time of year because the sloughs are barely frozen, enough for a bird to get in them but not enough for the dog or a human to walk through. I saw a fair amount of birds Saturday in the tall grass, must have been sunning, all seemed to get up with me pretty far away. Sunday I was lucky enough to drop a young rooster however. It was my dogs best retrieve to date, she kicked him out of the cattails, I dumped him and he dropped about 50 yards into the cattails. She found him and retrieved to hand without seeing the flush or the drop, I was quite proud.

IMG_1603 (002).jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Hoster05 View Post
    anyone been out lately? I was out for a bit Saturday and Sunday. Both beautiful days although I am always really cautious this time of year because the sloughs are barely frozen, enough for a bird to get in them but not enough for the dog or a human to walk through. I saw a fair amount of birds Saturday in the tall grass, must have been sunning, all seemed to get up with me pretty far away. Sunday I was lucky enough to drop a young rooster however. It was my dogs best retrieve to date, she kicked him out of the cattails, I dumped him and he dropped about 50 yards into the cattails. She found him and retrieved to hand without seeing the flush or the drop, I was quite proud.

IMG_1603 (002).jpg
    I went out Saturday and it was the first day of the season i didn't flush a bird. Must be in the cattails...

Hello All,

Here is an update from me...I hunted last Sunday morning at a nearby WMA and flushed up 11 birds, a few of them could have been double flushed but 7 roosters and 4 hens is what I counted. Majority of the birds were in the cattails and I was walking along the edge with my 14 month old pup. I had a shot at two roosters but they were flying over a pond and I decided not to shoot since I wasn't sure about the thinkness of the ice. As far as the cattails, I fell thru a few times up to my calfs but I wear rubber boots so not a problem, dog had zero issues with walking in the cattails. My pup is still getting used to pheasant hunting but he had three really good flushes and on those three flushes he got really birdie so it's fun to see my dog develop as a bird dog.

I'll be back at it Dec 7th weekend and will report back, hopefully the snow doesn't ruin too much of the ice.

Good Luck All!