Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tent Camping in November

If really cold, sleep with a beenie on or a hoody. Cooking can be a challenge. A good jet boil stove works great for morning joe. I am assuming you will be staying in the state parks, so a campfire would be in order as well as a good stiff drink.

Sounds like a great time.

I've tent camped in montana in november.It sucked, but the hunting was good.We had a flock of turkeys come into our camp, that was interesting.It got below zero at night.I don't

I did this last year in south central Nebraska, tent was a cabelas guide tent, 8 man geo-dome, I bought some 20 plus years ago with a nice large vestibule. Had a big buddy heater with 20lb cylinder, cylinder was set in the vestibule. Had a cot to stay off the ground and 3 sleeping bags, 1 for laying on the cot and two for the colder nights. I had my rain fly on the tent and most nights I didn't run the heater, temps in hi 20's low 30's, but it was nice to run in the morning to cut the chill. It did not take long for tent to warm up with the Big Buddy heater. Last night the low was 5 and I used both bags and heater off and on, always worried about carbon monoxide, wind was howling all night and we got like 3 inches of snow. Small cooking stove used on tail gate. Toughest part was just cleaning birds in the dark without the amenities. I had the campground to myself so I also had a small heater I put in outhouse to cut the chill as well. Might consider another canopy over the top of your tent like an ice fishing hub to provide addition protection from wind and elements. I had 2 dogs who each had their beds. I just packed normally other than tent stuff. A safety idea might be a co monitor if you are using the heater. Good cooler to keep your food cold or for bird storage, folding chair (gets old on cot), Portable tent light. I was out for 4 nights, then hit a hotel on the way back to clean up. Plenty of baby wipes for cat baths, clean up after cleaning birds or cooking and outhouse.

20181116_171353_resized.jpg
    River - 3 yr old English Setter
    http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigr...&generations=5
    Bella - 5 yr old Brittany
    http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigr...&generations=5
    Ellie - 6 yr old Yellow Lab
    Jazi - 12/30/2005 -- 10/13/2017
    Kaci - 3/23/01 - -10/8/15

Quote Originally Posted by Miforester View Post
    I did this last year in south central Nebraska, tent was a cabelas guide tent, 8 man geo-dome, I bought some 20 plus years ago with a nice large vestibule. Had a big buddy heater with 20lb cylinder, cylinder was set in the vestibule. Had a cot to stay off the ground and 3 sleeping bags, 1 for laying on the cot and two for the colder nights. I had my rain fly on the tent and most nights I didn't run the heater, temps in hi 20's low 30's, but it was nice to run in the morning to cut the chill. It did not take long for tent to warm up with the Big Buddy heater. Last night the low was 5 and I used both bags and heater off and on, always worried about carbon monoxide, wind was howling all night and we got like 3 inches of snow. Small cooking stove used on tail gate. Toughest part was just cleaning birds in the dark without the amenities. I had the campground to myself so I also had a small heater I put in outhouse to cut the chill as well. Might consider another canopy over the top of your tent like an ice fishing hub to provide addition protection from wind and elements. I had 2 dogs who each had their beds. I just packed normally other than tent stuff. A safety idea might be a co monitor if you are using the heater. Good cooler to keep your food cold or for bird storage, folding chair (gets old on cot), Portable tent light. I was out for 4 nights, then hit a hotel on the way back to clean up. Plenty of baby wipes for cat baths, clean up after cleaning birds or cooking and outhouse.

Looks like you are prepared, and that's really important!! Like I said, i've done it years ago, but cab over campers are the bomb.Not ones made before 1985, way too heavy!

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Trigger View Post
    If really cold, sleep with a beenie on or a hoody. Cooking can be a challenge. A good jet boil stove works great for morning joe. I am assuming you will be staying in the state parks, so a campfire would be in order as well as a good stiff drink.

Sounds like a great time.
    Forecasted highs in the 40's and lows in the 20's. One of my hunting buddies decided he is coming along, so I'm even more excited. This is going to be a great adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by Miforester View Post

That is brilliant, man, brilliant! A heater in the bathroom... Last year we camped overnight at a hawking meet with temps in single digits and a howling wind. No lights on in the outhouse, so I had to crack the door in the middle of the night. Created a reverse flow of air down the vent and a jet of air blasting up from the toilet. Worst poo of my life... haha.

Anyway, thanks for the pic of your setup and all the info. That is great stuff.

I would get a CO monitor and a fan; we've camped out on Lake of the Woods in our Clam hub with a big buddy heater and had troubles with no wind. The heater would take all the O2 without the wind, leaving a high risk for CO poisoning as well as continuously shutting down without oxygen. We had cots and down sleeping bags rated for -30. temps were -10 to 10, but it was the no wind at 4 am that really put us at risk for CO poisoning. Woke up, thank goodness, but with monster headaches on the still night.
    ...even the blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes