Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tent Camping in November

Default Tent Camping in November

I'm planning a 4-day, 3-night trip around KS pheasant country. Looking for an adventure more than just a hunting trip, so I've decided to tent camp. I'm planning to hunt during the day and then set up camp at night. If I hit a really great spot, maybe I'll stay 2 nights, otherwise just work my way around the state in a big "C" shape and end up pointed back towards home. I may end up buying my lunch in town, but I definitely want to try to cook dinner in camp and really make the most of my time out on the KS prairie.

"SHOCKINGLY", my middle aged friends are not returning my calls right now because this sounds like a horrible idea to them. Looks like I will be travelling solo with the dogs.

I have done a few overnights of camping at this time of year, and it has been a real mixed bag. Some November nights are pretty mild and camping has been fun. One time there was a howling 40 mph North wind, and I was awake all night freezing and praying my tent stakes would hold... You know, a real adventure... Haha.

Any tips or tricks from the peanut gallery? Any essentials that a noob would probably not think to pack? Please let me know about your experiences camping for a few days+ during bird season.

Ive done it.It was cold.The hunting was good, we camped all over the place, saw the northern lights, got turkeys, pheasant. Its hardcore, to hunt this way.Bring a good heater!!!

I try and get at least one “adventure” trip each season. Like you I’ve had a mixed bag over the years. Some trips have been great and one ended with broken fiberglass tent poles and me sleeping in the truck due a western Kansas thunderstorm that popped up overnight. Air mattress and buddy heater would be the two things that I make sure I have. Good luck and have fun!

Buddy Heater and extra bottles , A cot to keep you up off the ground , and a real good sleeping bag .

I spent a night out in the Cimmaron National Grasslands in a tent and what I thought was a decent sleeping bag and I was the coldest I have ever been . I slept in my clothes coat and stocking cap with a wool blanket over me . I was still quite uncomfortable.

My friend who I camped with used his sleeping bag he bought for camping in the mountains of Colorado slept like a baby .

It was cool wake up to Bobwhites calling in the morning near our camp .

Quote Originally Posted by KSBrittman View Post
    Buddy Heater and extra bottles , A cot to keep you up off the ground , and a real good sleeping bag .

I spent a night out in the Cimmaron National Grasslands in a tent and what I thought was a decent sleeping bag and I was the coldest I have ever been . I slept in my clothes coat and stocking cap with a wool blanket over me . I was still quite uncomfortable.

My friend who I camped with used his sleeping bag he bought for camping in the mountains of Colorado slept like a baby .

I agree
    Get a really good -20 down bag.A propane heater, and be prepared to be bored out of yoyr mind.Best advise, get a modern camper.

Heater... Check!

"Bored out of my mind" sounds amazing. A few days of peace and quiet and no schedule is exactly what I need.

Quote Originally Posted by KSBrittman View Post

A loooooong time ago, some friends and I camped overnight in March, crappie fishing, and Winter decided to give one final blast that night. I shivered so hard all night I couldn't fall asleep at all. Ended up fully dressed, jacket and all, inside my sleeping bag. It definitely sucked and I was dead on my feet the next day.

Adventures definitely suck sometimes. haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Toad View Post
    Heater... Check!

"Bored out of my mind" sounds amazing. A few days of peace and quiet and no schedule is exactly what I need.
    I bought a pop up camper years ago.Tent camping is very hard core.I'm getting 16 mpg with the camper, and i'm snug, as a bug in there.Half ton, 4x4, works best.

Quote Originally Posted by Toad View Post
    Heater... Check!

I get it.I get out there with the camper, and the world looks so good.It's very serene.

Temps could be in the 70's or like last year, 50 mph with wind chill close to zero. I don't know how you could have kept a tent in the ground opening morning last year.