Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Help with wild bird shooting

Anything distinguishable on the head should suffice. I find the white ring on the neck draws my old eyes the best. That dark/light contrast. If really close the red patch on the eye really pops on a mature bird.

When you are shooting at a going away bird and can't see any beak, ring neck, eyes, etc. then what do you concentrate on?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Peters View Post
    When you are shooting at a going away bird and can't see any beak, ring neck, eyes, etc. then what do you concentrate on?
    Nice one! Pretty sure I know where you're going with that. You've gotta have really good eyes, but I think it can be done.
    "Most pheasants in South Dakota don't react too well to #5s." -The Hunt for Red Rooster

If in fact it is a true dead going away bird then all you have to look at is the back end of the bird, there's nothing else to look at. If you look closely though many of those seemingly going away birds are not actually dead going away but rather have a very shallow angle to them. In that case if you can see the head at all, than that is what what your focus should be.

Here is my opinion on this topic for what it's worth, a good percentage of misses are due to rushing the shot and or feet out of position. Those two reasons right there will cause more misses than anything else. Shoot too quick and your eyes have not been given the ability to acquire the target. Feet out of position and your body is inhibited from mounting and swinging the gun smoothly and accurately.

Other things that could potentially cause misses is gun fit. I'm not talking about being a little off but a lot off. Off the shelf guns fit most of us reasonably well, enough so to be successful. A gun that is way out of fit will most certainly cause you issues. Even a gun out of fit we can adjust some shooting Clay's with a pre mounted gun. But if we have to quickly mount and shoot the ill fitted gun, you can see where the problem is.
    Last edited by birdshooter; 11-14-2019 at 10:12 AM.

487 miles from home in northeast Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Peters View Post
    Feet.

If the feet are tucked up tight to the body, it's a hen, don't shoot it.

If one or both feet are lowered from the body, with the feet balled up except for one toe extended straight out, that's a rooster. SHOOT!!

Quote Originally Posted by Vammy View Post
    Feet.

If one or both feet are lowered from the body, with the feet balled up except for one toe extended straight out, that's a rooster. SHOOT!!
    Where did you hear or learn this? I have never heard that before. I have shot and seen thousands of birds get shot and I have never observed that between hens and roosters. If it is true I am going to start looking more closely.

I am assuming that Vammy is referring to an extended "middle toe"

i actually sized down my fiberoptic on my SBE2. I was finding that the larger fiber was keeping me from getting my head down on the gun. i would see the big green fiber on the target and shoot but was no where near where I needed my head. I figured this out duck hunting in devils lake missing on gimmes at 15-20 yards on bluebills moving slowly into the wind. i took my fiber off the next day when we started pheasant hunting in SD. I went 7 for 7 on live birds couple at 40-50 yards stone cold dead. be sure your head is down on the gun, my SBE 2 has 2 sights that need to be lined up.

good luck it can be frustrating but shoot to get hot shoot to stay hot.

I close my left eye, and use a fiber optic white bead sight.

Quote Originally Posted by Vammy View Post
    Feet.

Hilarious. Thanks for the morning laugh. I think most people got it?